It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Dog poop
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 8:34 pm 

Is there something natural to put on dog poop to speed up it's decomposition?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 8:44 pm 

Since we have two dogs, we get quite a bit in the yard. I just add it to the compost bins and cover it up. It seems to decompose pretty fast. I also add fresh cut grass on top, which seems to make the compost heat up fast. I also turn the compost every two to four weeks, plus water it every other day. If we don't get any rain. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:54 pm 

From what Howard has told me ... as long as I have a lot of other matter in the compost pile, the dog poop is fine. I think he said the animal manure could be as much as 20% of the compost pile and it would be fine.

Feeding your animals organic based foods such as the Muenster Dog Food also helps the manure to break down faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:48 pm 

I have an experimental compost pile beside my main pile. Into the smaller pile goes dog poop, straw, and citrus (lemons, limes, oranges) peelings and pulps. I am not doing anything to this pile besides constantly adding fresh material(s), no turning. I'm not sure what will become of this side pile, but I shall see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:08 am 

It is always important to keep your compost piles totally aerated, extremely hot, and constantly moist, to stimulate the beneficial aerobic bacteria and fungi necessary to totally break down controversal materials like dog poop or human manure, that are full of pathogens, in any composting method, to be on the safe side.

If this compost that you are making from dog poop is not going to be used on edible plants, then it really is not a safety issue in how you compost it.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:59 pm 

My dog's poop disintegrates easily within a week. I'm convinced it's the organic life in the soil that takes care of it. In the winter, it takes about a month to disintegrate, but this time of year, it goes fast.

Last year I tried using table sugar, corn meal, CGM, and seaweed. I can't remember which one was the funny one, but this long, black fungus grew on it. My wife called it my Chia Poop :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:16 am 

Dchall_San_Antonio

Are you composting your dog's droppings in a compost pile? My Boxer's poop breaks down very quickly if I miss a spot in the lawn. However, in my experimental pile (next to compost pile), the pile does not seem to be breaking down very quickly. Perhaps it is because of the greater volume of "product".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:07 pm 

No I don't compost it per se. I leave it on the grass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:11 am 

If you don't want to add it to your compost because of the risk, I have annother solution:

Get an irrigation valve box and put it in the desired spot. Do not put drainage rocks at the bottom just leave a bare hole. Rake the Dog Poop into the hole and put the cover back on. The poop will degrade faster than the dogs can pile it up. I have two large dogs and this works great for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:43 am 

Spray it with a heavy dose of liquid molasses. My dogs' poop is part of the scenery with in 3 days. It's easy, it adds to the soil and it works great.