It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bine Weed
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:20 pm 

I did a search on the forum on this and haven't had any luck so I'm going to ask the question again? Is there an organic solution to bine weed. I have moved to a new house and there is an infestation of it. I would like to get it under control ASAP. Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:10 pm 

It's actually bind weed, because it is so tough it will bind up farm equipment. Vinegar sprays and flame devices will kill the top growth but it comes back. Also comes back froom little pieces when it is tilled or chopped up. The solution long term solution is to balance the organic matter in the soil. Of course that can only be done with an organic approach. Start with the dry molasses and then add the other amendments that will help create healthy soil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:18 am 

From the book "Weeds control without poisons"
"Morning glories and bindweed have rhizomes. Under conditions of improper decay there are no fungi antagonistic to those rhizomes. It takes correction of pH, air capacity and moisture control to set in motion a soil environment that assures the proper decay of organic matter. Under such soil conditions a whold new array of fungal systems can start to break down the rhizome seed stock and eventually correct the soil system for desired crop growth -- yet one antagonistic to the bindweed and morning glory. These basic fungal systems can make short work of rhizomes and roots, digest them and remove them." Just thought I would share.