It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Training roses
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm 

How do you train tall roses? I have 6 Heart O' Gold roses growing outside of my living room window. These suckers get tall! I'd like to see if I could train them onto a trellis or some sort of arch and kind of make one of those things that they are always showing in wedding pictures and the such.
My roses get big but they are pretty strong and I do not think that they will bend so how should I do it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:55 pm 

I think training would best be done with only new growth. The older, more woody parts are likely to break. If you already have an established plant, you will just have to work with what you can, far as I know.

I re-threaded a Carolina Jessamine onto an arbor about 18 months ago. That was a big chore. I lost some of it, but it has really filled back in. This is a much more "pliable" plant than any rose I have seen. I can not imagine trying to do that with roses! :shock: Ouch!

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach