It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:00 am 

I have lost 4 bushes so far. Two this past winter and two this summer. The bushes are in partial shade. I have not sprinklered much this summer - just some hand watering when things get dry. The leaves turn yellow and fall off here and there - then all of a sudden the leaves are wilted and then within a few days they are all brown. I pulled up the last bush and a tiny root ball was all that was left. It looks like some sort of root rot to my uneducated eyes. The bushes were over 3 years old and never had any other problems. They were well mulched. I had a neighbors fall leaves at the base of the plants this winter and then added shredded cedar in early May.

The mulch all over my beds has a white crust when it is tuned and the winter leaves are all black. It sounds like Phymatotrichum root rot or Texas root rot when I googled it.

I just started my organic program this spring and have been adding compost, lava sand, Garret Juice to the soil. I recently used Neem for the first time with Garlic Juice to combat this but it is too early to tell if it is working. The bushes are all in a row with one last one standing and looking a little yellow.

I hope some one can help.

Last edited by LTM on Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:28 pm 

What kind of bushes are they?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:29 pm 

I know what you typed I just have no idea what that is....any pics you can post?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:33 pm 

I need to look up the proper name - it is in the DD's big book. Sorry - I should have done that first :)

Post subject: The bushes are Cleyera
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:37 pm 

Evergreen - DD says good drainage to avoid root rot. I don't remember readig that before.

I also trimmed a few really low branches (same with my hawthorne that are showing similar yellow and red leaves that fall off). I turned the mulch and ground in corn meal, lava sand and some compost. I let it air out for two days and then retuned the mulch with the additives hoping that might help arrest the fungus somewhat. Also used some Garrett juice on the leaves and in the soil.

Maybe what I have done will work...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:49 am 

Cleyera is very sensitive to root fungal problems especially if the drainage isn't perfect. Do the entire Sick Tree Treatment and use lots of horticultural cornmeal. And watch your watering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:56 am 

Thanks so much - will post an update in a few weeks, LTM

Post subject: Oh well - they all died
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:35 pm 

The entire row of 5 Cleyera bushes died starting in the winter. They were on the north side of my house next to the foundation - 2 feet off the house.

When they would turn brown and I pulled them up - the root ball was very small so I guessed it was a root fungus or something.

Replaced with some boxwood ball bushes that are all over this landscape I inherited. I treated with compost tea and conmeal and kept watering to a minimum but it was probably too late.

Thanks for the feedback.