It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:46 pm 

Check with a real garden supply store. They should be able to buy it by the cubic yard and get the really premium stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:49 pm 

If you are just needing small amounts, Wells has bagged compost with green sand and lava sand mixed in. If you need bulk, try Living Earth Technologies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:42 am 

Lowes HAS started carrying Mushroom compost and that is one of the best kinds of compost. If you don't need a lot, this comes in a nice managable size of a bout a cubic foot or two.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 1:51 pm 

I'd recommend using bulk compost whenever possible. The bagged compost can often times set-up an anaerobic environment that can do unpleasant things to the compost. It can cause harm or even destroy the beneficial bacteria that the compost is supposed to provide. Bags are convenient but not always the best for your plants. For high quality bulk compost I'd suggest that you try Soil Building Systems. Also, I have had no luck with mushroom compost, as a long-term and sustaining solution.

Post subject: bulk compost
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:49 pm 

R. J. Smelley Dairy has finished compost. You can get it by pickup or delivered.(817) 300-4350

Post subject: Best compost
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:33 am 

I have found that the Green Sense cotton bur compost is simply the best - you can get it at Rhode's or anywhere that carries the Green Sense products.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:14 pm 

Jenny:

8) My vote goes to "Doctor Gobbler" turkey compost. No chemical additives in the feed and they raise the turkeys.

At the present time it is bagged but soon to be available in bulk in the SA Tx. area.

Post subject: Re: bulk compost
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:07 pm 

dav wrote:
R. J. Smelley Dairy...

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:30 am 

My favorite for compost bought in bags is the Organic Rose Blend. I think it's made by Back to Earth or Back to Nature, or something like that. Comes in a red and white bag and is great stuff. I have used the composted cotton bur compost, but it seems to attract termites everywhere I use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:26 am 

Dan, if you want completely finished compost that runs through your fingers like potting soil, then try rich earth. I don't know if it is sold in your area. I buy it from Garison gardens in Plano. If you want something a little ruffer, your local city compost will probably be rough black and hot. That stuff at lowe's might as well be labled landscaper's mix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:43 am 

I'm not a big fan of any commercial composts, especially mushroom compost. Homemade compost is definitely superior to any commercial compost, mainly on aerobic microbial populations alone. Some homemade composts are higher in beneficial nitrates than others. It's all based on the quality of the organic material ingredients, and the process of composting the stuff. Hot composting is the way to go for best results. Many commercial composting factories don't use a hot composting process.

Mushroom compost can be too acidic, or too salty, or too strong for some sensitive seeds for germination.

Check this out:

http://eesc.orst.edu/agcomwebfile/garde ... hroom.html

Happy Gardening!

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton