It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: find zeolite
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:59 am 

I tried to post this question in Products and Places, but the "new topic" button isn't there. I live near cash. I heard on Howards program that zeolite worked great for cat litter. It was great! I loved it! I put it in my compost. I am hooked! Unfortunately, Steve's nursery was the only one that carried it. He looked at me as if I had two heads when I told him what I used it for. Apparently, I was buying his stock that had been sitting on the shelves for some time. Now he can't get it. He said that the distributer won't get it because the people that marketed the product, decided that it was too expensive to bag. I do have some stashed in cinder block holes that has been used. Can anyone let me know where else I can buy it? or can I pile up my stash and let nature wash the amonia and bacteria out, to possibly reuse it? At present, I am using comercially organic cat litter, but it doesn't control the odor as well. Since I have to replace the litter more often, the cost is about the same per month as was the zeolite. My husband wants me to either put baking soda in it or go back to clay cat litter. I don't want baking soda in my compost, and I like using a product that doesn't have to go in the trash.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: find zeolite
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:31 am 

Try your local feed stores. A lot of people use it to control oders in horse stall. It might be called something different.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:30 am 

I have tried the Farmers co-op in Greenville. They didn't know what it was. What other name might it be called?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:24 am 

Sweet PDZ is what I found in a previous post when I did a search. Call around & see if any feed stores carry it by that name.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:24 pm 

Mitchell Feed on 276 is a customer of mine and can order it through Southland supply.
You are looking for Gardenville Efficient Z or there is a product that feed stores carry called sweet PDZ I believe. Jacks Town and Country is a customer as well and may have the sweet PDZ or can order the other.
i will ck on posting on my forum, products and places for you.

trop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:09 pm 

HEB sells kitty litter under their Hill Country label. It is 100% natural zeolite. It cost about $2.75 for a 25lb bag in the San Marcos, TX HEB.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Retail stores can buy Kitty Crystals and other zeolite products from Southland Supply. If a store do not want to help you - a real disappointment but we have hearing this is a reality - then you can get it online at:
http://www.green-living.com/kitty-cryst ... itter.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:37 am 

My local feed and seed here in Georgia doesn't have it but I just called them and they can order Sweet PDZ and have it here next week. $11.65 for a 40-lb bag, which isn't bad. I was surprised to hear that they could and would order it for me, here in the backwoods of North Georgia. It never hurts to ask.

I've been using a cedar flake litter that claims to be 100% natural, compostable, no chemicals. It does a great job of absorbing liquids and so far has no odor, but it's messy and gets tracked all over the house very quickly so I need something else.

Thanks for the Sweet PDZ brand name tip!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:44 am 

The Sweet PDZ that I ordered arrived yesterday, and so far it's been a real hit with the cats -- and after all, if they don't like it, they won't use it.

The youngest dived in immediately digging away. I think this granular product is more like the granular cat litter she's used to, and she really likes to dig. The other one, older and newer to this household, seems to like it, too. Neither seemed too fond of the cedar flakes.

Odors were absorbed immediately -- haven't had a whiff. Scooped this morning, all the solid gifts had dried up, I stirred what wet areas there were to distribute, and that was that.

My only complaint so far is that it does track onto my hardwood floors, which I was hoping it would not. But -- I'll work on a better 'catcher' in front of the litter box.

If my feed store in my tiny town in Georgia can order this stuff, I'd guess that almost any feed store can get it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:16 pm 

Location: California, San Joaquin Valley - home of 105* summers, foggy winters.
Try using stove pellets as litter. A 40lb bag costs $10 or less. Use 1 qt of pellets for a regular sized cat box. It will look like a scrawny amount, but don't be discouraged. Take a spray bottle, and spray 15 or so times to dampen some of the pellets. In about 10 minutes, some of the pellets will to fall apart, making it attractive for the cat to use. As the cat uses the box, the rest of the pellets will fall apart, making a lush pile of sawdust. The sawdust is a wonderful smell killer, and we never had odor problems when we used stove pellets. You will probably find that you'll need to change the cat litter much less often than before.

If you're not afraid of composting cat litter, you're set! It will all break down in time. You can even add additional organic matter, like kitchen scraps.