It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:21 am 

Fall is approaching and the weather is still quite warm. What month do you think CGM should be layed out this year?
Should I do the Molasses at the same time?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:09 pm 

The reason for applying CGM in the fall is to stop the spring wildflower weeds from sprouting. If you have a dense turf, you don't need CGM. If you have a thin turf, then the answer will depend on where you live and when the spring wildflower seeds sprout in your neighborhood. For the spring application we look to nature for the answer. It seems that the summer annual weed seeds sprout about the time the forsythia flowers are in full bloom. We have not identified a similar "natural" timing device for fall, but if anyone knows of one, or could suggest one, we'd all appreciate it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:25 pm 

I'm in Kennedale, TX.

I have noticed that dandelions are resurging but it seems hot to start the CGM.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:29 pm 

I think you have dandelions because your grass is being mowed too low. Assuming you are growing St Augustine, there is never any reason to lower the deck from all the way up. Just making that change will take out the existing dandelions without doing anything else. The tall St Aug will push the leafy dandelion leave upward and they cannot get enough sunlight on them. Then they die.

Or you could get a Weed Hound tool at any of the box stores. They are about $25 this year. You can pluck out the dandelions as fast as you can step on them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:39 pm 

I have bermuda. One of my previous lawn questions was grass height. I'm trying the lower height as suggested and it may take a while for this to work without the yard looking like I scalped it and the grass looking burned. Anyways, thank you for the info

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:17 pm 

Okay with bermuda you will have to keep an eye out for dandelions. By all means, get a Weed Hound tool. They're $25 at HD or Lowes. Keep the grass well fertilized for max density.

Also on the CGM timing question: I have a new theory. Use the CGM about 1 week prior to your fall rain storms. We just got a week of twice-daily rains and the nutgrass is going nuts (so to speak). If the CGM was out early or on the first day of the rain, it might have helped.