It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: St Augustine roots
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:49 pm 
I have a great looking lawn; but, I can reach under the St.Augustine and it comes up just like a "floor mat". Green. Healthy looking. I have airated this year. Runners on top not taking root. Is this a fungus and what to do? :( W

Post subject: Re: St Augustine roots
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:12 pm 

Y'all don't know how sorry I am to have gone this long without being able to reply to this post. There was some technology glitch that prevented me from replying. This guy has probably lost his lawn back when this was posted.

There are two things to check. One is grubs. That's easy to do by digging up a 1 square foot area and looking 1 to 2 inches deep. If you see more than a dozen grubs in 1 square foot, then you have (or had) a grub problem. Grubs can be controlled with beneficial nematodes applied in a wet soil (like after several days of rain). I like the Guardian brand of BN out of Colorado. They come on a little sponge you soak in water and spray onto the garden.

The other is fungus. Fungus is controlled organically by applying ordinary corn meal at a rate of 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. It takes 3 full weeks but at the end of that time, the grass should be recovering (new green shoots). Corn meal is an organic fertilizer so apply it to the entire lawn if you use it at all.

Neither BN nor corn meal will hurt each other. Both are basically beneficial so why not apply both when you don't know what the problem is? The cost is low for either or both and you probably need at least one if not both.