It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: FLEAS on dogs and cats
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:25 pm 

You know, I'm really reluctant to use the conventional flea "prevention", which isn't prevention at all, but repellent that you put once monthly on the skin of the dogs and cats.

BUT...fleas are driving us insane. We have three dogs and two cats, all on Muenster natural, along with garlic/yeast powder. We haven't done nematodes yet, though, could that be the ONLY reason we still have fleas?? I've even put DE on our babies, which I'm also reluctant to do too much because of drying the skin (especially on the cats). They're SO bad that our black cat has licked himself to balding around his legs and a spot on his back above his tail. It's frustrating and sad. His skin is not red or irritated, though. They are really bad.

Please help! I've even concocted essential oil sprays with juniper, rosemary, orange oil, and citronella oils. No worky (plus the dogs AND cats freak out when I spray anything.) I've bathed them in the natural herbal neem shampoos, and dips. I don't know what else to do besides the nematodes. Could it really just come down to that? If so, how will that help my indoor only cats?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:45 pm 

Fleas Control

Spray the infested site with one of the organic mound drench products or any citrus oil, compost tea, and molasses mix.

Treat the site with beneficial nematodes. These are living organisms so use before the date deadline on the package.

Dust pet sleeping quarters, if necessary, with natural diatomaceous earth.

Bathe pets with herbal shampoos. The most effective products contain citrus (d-limonene) and tea tree oil (melaleuca).

Spray the site as needed with Garrett Juice with 2 oz of orange oil per gallon. Drench visable mounds with the following:

Homemade Fire Ant Mound Drench - mix one part compost tea, one part molasses, and one part citrus oil concentrate. Mix at 4-6 ounces per gallon of water for treating fire ant mounds. Add 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar per gallon water to the pets drinking water. Start with 1 teaspoon if the pets are picky. Brush and exercise them regularly.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:11 pm 

I tried all of those things for flea prevention to no avail. They may work but I found it very difficult to keep up the regime of doing all those things consistently. I have shied away from using DE as this can irritate and damage the lungs of pets if put on them or bedding.

I have been giving my dog Comfortis for about 8 months now and never see a flea. It is a chewable tablet given once a month. It is better than the coat application products; they just seem unsafe to me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:48 am 

Hello, My story is long so here is the short version...My Golden was diagnosed with a brain tumor by my local vet because of a sezure she had, he recommended I put her down. In the quest to keep her healthy as long as possible I turned to the internet. I researched everything holistic...I changed her diet to nothing but raw meat mixed with other raw foods to build her immune system. I went to my local GNC and bought Black Walnut capsules and put half a capsule over her food...this made her blood taste nasty to fleas and ticks. I also took cheap mouth wash and sprayed her and her bedding. For some reason fleas hate Scope??? She never had fleas and ticks after that and she was pretty much an outdoor dog. She lived almost 2 years after that. Not sure if the Black Walnut will work on cats but it's all natural so it sure can't hurt to try it.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:38 pm 

Before you spray anything onto your cat and dog, gather up your pet's bedding, toys, etc and wash it regularly with soap and water. Moreover, you can also use a flea comb to bush their hair on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:46 am 

One of my friends suggested to me to use Topicals this is a liquid administered by placing a prescribed dose, usually one drop, onto the pet’s back under his coat.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:19 am 

What is in Topicals?