It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Greetings Mr. Garrett-
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:34 pm 

I recently posted this on the American Bamboo Society's website forum:

"According to the self-named DFW resident and radio host, the Dirt Doctor, Howard Garrett, insect attacks on plants increase when good critters in the soil and immediate surroundings are not being tended to and fed, including microorganisms, worms, and other "beneficials" including insects, amphibians, reptiles, birds etc.

He is strongly against man made chemicals of any kind, because he says it interferes and destabilizes the natural systems that support the plant. The disruption in pH and wide swings in chemical composition due to introduced man made chemistry are analogous to toxicity to these supporting organisms, and that the syncytium that makes up the overall composition of these organisms is quite stable in an otherwise rich organic environment.

It is the supporting system rather than the plant itself, that should be the focus of successful gardening, according to his overall philosophy. His solutions are not gratifying to the quick results most gardeners seek in desperation, though the preventative, gradual, and long term approach allegedly offer superior results from parasitical attack and high yield to boot.

The stuff he uses includes green sand, lava sand, cornmeal, alfalfa meal, molasses, cider vinegar, orange oil, compost, mulches and other amendments which are designed to feed the system, rather than the plant. In addition, he makes suggestions of supportive plants and animal shelters that will attract or add to the overall syncytium.

Regards,
Mackel in DFW"

http://bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic.php? ... 876#p38876

P.S.- Do I get a brownie point Mr. Garrett.

Last edited by Mackel in DFW on Fri May 21, 2010 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:27 pm 

You Shy Devil You!

Anyways, I had a few questions in regards to growing a screen out of the baldcypress hybrid, nanjing beauty. How far apart should I space them, it seems like twenty feet would take forever to fill in, but would be better for root development. On the other hand, it being a clone, wouldn't all the roots eventually become fused anyway.

Much Gratitude for Your Response

P.S.- Texas Gardening the Natural Way is on my nicest shelf, proudly next to all of my old biology textbooks. Best non-fiction book I've bought in years. Now, could you please let me know what you think about the screen?

Regards,
Mackel in DFW

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:26 am 

Well, I Realize You are Probably Very Busy Right Now-

But my interest in organic gardening was inspired by you, sir.

Here's an excerpt from another recent post of mine, from the American Bamboo Society's discussion forum in respnse to a thread about fertlizier:

"I am a scientist by training and a construction guy by trade. But it's a red herring to say that N is N when it is the soil environment that allows the nitrogen to be delivered into the root.

If you kill the fungus, for example, that feeds the roots because of the wild fluctuations in pH and chemical composition, what have you done. If you leach out micronutrients because of the wild fluctuations in pH and chemical composition, what have you done. If you kill the organisms that aerate the soil, what have you done. If you run off the good creatures that kill the parasites, what have you done.

If you think about it, it's a much more complex answer on how to provide optimum nutrition for bamboo or any other plant, we can agree that poor results and the runs would result if you tried an unbuffered nutrient regime on yourself, by disrupting the microorganisms that feed you inside of your gut. Massive vitamins, etc. would all get flushed out anyway, you'd kill your microflora, plus you would become vulnerable to parasitical attack, and certain nutritives would not be adsobrbed at all. Try living off of protein shakes (N) and vitamins if this isn't intuitive at first."

So am I with the program or what, Mr. Garrett?

Regards,
Mackel in DFW

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:58 pm 

Thanks for helping spread the word - you are right on target!