It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:27 pm 

No, you don't want that, just give me his address and I will be happy to come remove that useless old composted manure from his property in an act of selfless kindness.

Ok, Ok, Ok - get all you can

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:48 pm 

If your property is not real 'wormy' this will do the trick. When you get it, turn over some dirt around the edges and underneath, may be loaded with worms and their egg capsules.

This past spring after a good dose of manure compost and a soft rain I had a confluence of worms trying to eat it and birds digging out worms, I swear it looked like i'd had the yard aerated when I got home that day, pencil sized holes every inch or so....

What you can't use right away just keep adding to, throw your 'fresh' composting material into the pile and it will decompose very quickly.

I'm jealous, after it has sat for a while, well, your sh-t don't stink.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:31 am 

I'd mix it all together and turn it from time to time over the winter. I just set out a load of finished compost in my beds and put all of last years' flowers and veggies into the bin to start decomposing for March.

I generally quit adding stuff to the bin a month before I plan to use it and start adding new material to a stack at that point.

You want everything nice and decomposed for your seedlings.

That manure will add other microbes into your mix that you may not have already - all good. I'm jealous of those trees!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:15 am 

crappie...are you in Tx & the Houston area....I am looking for some horse manure...& ..like to find some locally..just a couple of 5gallon buckets..Thanks to anyone who can assist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:46 am 

Slimm - most horse barns will give some up happily. Worst case volunteer to much the nastiest stall they have and toss the manure and pee-soaked bedding into some contractor bags then let it rot until spring in some inconspicuous location on your property.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:22 am 

It is said that some horses are given de-worming pills, and other medications too. Composting for a year with active turning, aerating, adding some dry molasses and watering would be my approach to tending that pile properly. When the pieces can not be recognized as the original horse stuff then it is likely good-to-go and the breakdown of any such medications is complete. That 3-yr. old stuff seems ideal. Go for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:26 am 

Get some dry molasses at the feedstore or any 'sweet feed' and mix it in real well. Otherwise, mix the liquid stuff 50-50 with water, spray it around as you turn the pile and mix it up real good. You'll see steam and major reduction in volume within 72 hours, promise!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:32 am 

It may be pretty well composted already if it isn't heating up. I'd turn it a few times and really get some oxygen to it - even if it is pretty well composted the molasses ought to get some heat going.