It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:12 pm 

We have recently moved to a house with an aerobic septic system and a private water well. The well water is very hard (9.5 grains/gallon). We are researching water softener systems that can use either sodium chloride or potassium chloride to regenerate the resin bed in the softener. The effluent from this process (about 30 to 50 gallons/week of a sodium or potassium solution) will need to be drained into the septic system or directly into the yard/flower bed. Our septic repairman says the sodium will ruin the pump in the septic system. We are also concerned about what these chemicals will do to the yard. Does anyone have any information regarding the effects the sodium or potassium will have on the septic system and the yard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:26 pm 

You might want to look into the magnetic water conditioners. I personally don't know anything about them, but they sound interesting and more desireable that a conventional softener, if they work well.
Here's a link with some info.
http://www.space-age.com/magwater/fta/index.html

I can't answer about the effluent on the yard. Overtime, it's bound to be at least somewhat undesireable. We had a water softener when I was a kid and it drained into the septic system, but we were on a aerobic septic and it went into the leach fields. Actually it probably wasn't as often as every month, since my dad was notoriously bad about forgetting to refill the water softener.

Marlyn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:05 pm 

Have you looked at RO (Reverse Osmosis) systems? I used to use/build/sell them back 20 years ago when I was breeding some tropical fish from the Amazon that needed very soft water.

Back then there was a lot of waste water but I think they are more efficient now and for a well... who cares. Just run the hard water waste into the septic system.

A good RO goes in three steps: Particle filer gets stuff down to around a micron, carbon block then takes out dissolved gases (sulfer smells?) and the RO membrane allows a certain amount of pure water to go through, I mean PURE, like 2 parts H and one part O.

The small ones do around 50 GPD for about a $250 filter system these days. If just for drinking that's plenty. If for the water heater and toilets and whole house you might need a big'n (technical term)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:54 pm 

Well I am very surprised that the repairman said that sodium would ruin the pump in the septic system. If you are looking for an alternative, definitely go with the potassium chloride in your water softener, it does a great job. Make sure you purchase a water softener from a dealer, talk to someone local who can run a water analysis on your water, and make sure it is a two piece system, meaning a brine tank and the mineral tank. Cabinet models do not work as well. As far as the magnetic water conditioners, I would avoid them. There have been several studies that show they do not work for removing hardness from water, the US Army, and a couple of universities have done detailed reports on this. If the descaling does work, the hardness is still not removed, so you would still have dry skin, fading clothes and laundry, and hard water buildup in all appliances. For drinking water consumption, Reverse Osmosis sytems are very good and very economical, you can purchase from a local dealer or elsewhere for not a lot of money. They remove up to 99% of contaminants and chemicals from your drinking water. But back to the original question on a water softener, if you do not want to use salt, use the potassium, and you should have no problems at all. I hope this helps. thanks.