It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:32 am 

I assume grub worms in my compost bin are okay, since they must be helping to break things down even more quickly, but just want to make sure.

Here's a picture of a big one I found yesterday.

The ingredients that go into our compost are about 50% leaves and grass cuttings, 30% vegetable and fruit trimmings and about 20% coffee grounds.

We occasionally get a lot of figeater beetles, too. I first see these as small, maggot-like larva throughout the compost, then after they mature they coming buzzing out of the compost and seem to be moving into new homes in the ground under the nearby tall grasses and groundcovers. They don't appear to be doing any damage to all that wild stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:10 am 

All they do is help your compost along but you won't want to introduce grubs into your garden at the end. I typically use some dry or liquid molasses and a bit of organic fert with a lot of poultry manure at the end of my composting to kill off any potential pests and pathogens.

Plan B - if you don't have a big pile and don't plan on going hot with it, take that fat grub and his little friends fishing with you :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:36 am 

I moved compost into the garden yesterday from my pile, and just squished all those guys I found (extra protein!). I covered up the little brown snake I unearthed from hibernation and left him be.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:47 pm 

I'm looking at that picture again and unless you have the hands of a small child, that's a damn big grub! LOL