It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Dog Poo Questions
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:04 pm 

First off I have two large dogs (a Great Pyrenees and a Golden Retriever) therefore I have poo, lots of it!

I was wondering if anyone has used a liquid molasses spray to help speed along the decomposition process?

I've considered composting it, but my existing compost pile is a Japanese Tomato Ring setup so I'm not too keen on adding it there and am not yet ready to create a dedicated "poo pile".

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Post subject: Re: Dog Poo Questions
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:02 pm 

Ok, I dug around and found a few old posts indicating that liquid molasses would help break down my abundant dog poo; the day I posted the original post, I decided to do a little experiment.

I found two piles of poo that were obviously deposited that day; one I liberally dowsed with liquid molasses/water mixture, the other I left alone. Everyday I checked them. I ended my observations today (ie threw the poo in a newer, larger compost pile).

Results:
Neither pile seemed to have decomposed faster; both finally began to turn slightly ashen today and neither seemed to have lost much volume.

I know, not exactly scientific, but I'm not going to waist any more time spraying land mines; I'll just add them to my new compost pile.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:44 pm 

Interesting idea but tossing it in the compost or container with the kitchen scraps is the best plan. In the container with the wet food stuff, the maggots of the black soldier fly will grow like crazy and you can feed them to the fish or the chickens.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:44 am 

Easy Dog Poo Solution,
The very first thing you can do is to change your dog's diet. Try feeding fresh (yes, I mean real fresh, raw food, if your dogs will eat raw) Dogs GI systems were meant to eat raw food. It IS NOT harmful as some will tell you. After all, who cooks for animals in the wild?? By feeding your dogs a fresh food diet what goes in their mouth does not come out the other end abundantly because they are absorbing all the nutrients from the food, hence, minimal "land mines" in the yard. Further, if you currently feed a "trash in the bag" food it has multiple fillers and that's why you're plagued with copious piles. Also, dogs that eat better chow and deposit land mines, the pill bugs will dispose of the pile quicker than they will from a pile resulting from a poor bag food. Kibble (any variety) takes a minimum of 16 hours for your dog to digest. Real food gives them instant, optimal nutrition, and is much cheaper. Take a bold step and make your life easier. Your dogs will benefit greatly and love you for it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:52 pm 

I use a post hole digger and dig down about 2 ft. and put my lab's poo in there and put in about a shovel full of compost(leaves,dirts and twigs) and when it's almost full I put some of the dirt that came out back in.I repeat these holes over different parts of my back yard.I also aw another way of doing this on Youtube,composting your dog poo,check it out. :lol: