It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Over seeding grass
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:56 pm 

In one of my other posts about getting grass started someone mentioned over seeding where there is already grass. In over seeding do you just spread the seeds over the ground in the grass and not put it down in to the dirt. Just spread over the over all area and particulaly the area with little grass and water?
I keep trying to learn more and more and I guess they say there is no dumb questions just questions that if not asked can't be answered.
Thanks to all for any and all help.
Al in Whitney, TX

Post subject: Re: Over seeding grass
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:17 am 

Lots of people on this forum will tell you not to overseed in the winter, and with good reason. But I do it, because there is a trick I learned for awsome results. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:54 am 

Dirt Face wrote:
Lots of people on this forum will tell you not to overseed in the winter, and with good reason. But I do it, because there is a trick I learned for awsome results. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:00 pm 

I overseeded last fall and am now seeing the bermuda come back in. It will be a little bit splotchy for a while but I find that it is not that hard to stress the Rye to the point where it dies off quickly - frequent, close mowing (scalping) for a few weeks this time of year kills it off for me, as it warms up the bermuda (low growing) outcompetes the Rye (Vertical growth habit) and the rye dies off pretty fast. I also lay down a healthy dose of milorganite and one of the good organic blends (I like calloway's, - it seems low on odor). I mix in blood meal for a little extra protein and iron to get that nice dark green look. I'll also spread a little screened compost over any low spots since I prefer a very unifom lawn.

Oh... and I will hit it with some sprayed molasses as that seems to melt the thatch and speed things up.

At the moment, my yard is so full of little worm piles that it looks like it just got aerated....

One-two good weeks in the 80's with plenty of sunshine and the rye will be gone except in the shady spots where it lasts a bit longer. Rye seems to love water so I let it dry out pretty good between waterings if possible. Combine that with the stress of hacking off 2/3 of it's growth a few times, the Bermuda fighting for nutrients and the rye gives up the ghost :-)