It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Mold on my soil....HELP!
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:02 am 

Howdy!

I have seached the forum to see if this 'problem' has already been discussed. I also checked 'M' for mold. I did not find anything. Please forgive me if I missed it!

***A few days ago, I found mold on my soil. I have a few small areas where my SA has not filled in. This is where I am seeing the mold.

I have recently spread CM and CMG. Also, we had two inches of rain on Friday. Plus, the grass is covered in dew in the morning.

Is this bad? If so, what should I do. The grass blades are fine...no mold there.

I am a little nervous! I did read here that mold will grow on stored CM...and that is okay. But what about moldy soil???

Thank you in advance!

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:46 am 

Char,

Don't quote me on this, but I searching the Internet this weekend, and read that the mold is OK?!? I cannot remember where I read it and saw it! :( If I'm wrong, I hope you'll get the right answer soon! But I didn't want you to flip out in the meantime! :D We had a lot of rain this weekend, so it just could disappear with the sun!

I talked with someone who had many educational degrees at a gardening store; and if there is mold on stored corn gluten meal, he said it was because of a manufacturing issue where moisture was not adequately eliminated. I returned my bag, and they accepted it. When I asked if I should apply moldy corn gluten meal to the soil, he said no. So, that's one person's opinion! I've keep corn gluten meal for months without mold. Hope this helps a wee bit!

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:42 am 

Thank you! I do feel better.

It is very hot and sunny today. It will be interesting to see if the mold does 'leave!'

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:37 pm 

LOL Cornmeal molds like crazy but think penicillin here - it's a good mold and it actually attacks a lot of the bad kind.

I know it's ironic and I went through this a long time ago - here I go and but CM to stop fungus problems and what happens? Blue freakin mold all over.

This too shall pass with a few days of hot sunny weather

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:38 pm 

Assuming you let the soil surface dry out before you water it again, it will go away.

Mold is a natural microbe that we try to cultivate in organic gardening. Some species can cause problems. That is when we either spray with milk or apply corn meal. The rate for milk is 3 ounces per gallon and spray about 3 ounces per 1,000 square feet. The rate for corn meal is 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. Corn meal kills fungal diseases by growing a predatory, but beneficial to the garden, mold called Trichoderma (try ko DER ma). The Trichoderma fungus is blue-green. Normally you don't see it growing on the corn meal.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:09 am 

Thank you so much for all the replies!