It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:57 am 

These are pictures of my tomato and potatoes. The tomatoes are yellowing dramatically from the very center of the leaf, and the potatoes got lighter green patches ith concentric cirles that dried up. I can't find any descrition that maatches what I see. Can anyone help?

Attachment:
may17th10 disease potatotomato beans 4.jpg
may17th10 disease potatotomato beans 4.jpg [ 204.46 KiB | Viewed 11507 times ]
Attachment:
Attachment:
may17th10 disease potatotomato beans 7.jpg
may17th10 disease potatotomato beans 7.jpg [ 159.97 KiB | Viewed 11505 times ]

Attachments:

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:43 am 

I think I responded to this on another forum. I am not sure about what it is, although it looks a lot like serious sun scald. If you are sure it is not, I would foiliar spray with Potassium bicarbonate every week, and soil drnech garrett juice or some other similar fertilizer also.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:26 pm 

Yes, you did respond elsewhere, I posted in both the Vegetables and the Disease forums. I'm not sure what is wrong, sun scald or disease, in those potatoes. They got very stressed because I mulched them with finely cut alfalfa, and it didn't occur to me that it would heat up like compost. I posted about it in the vegetable forum also. And since once a plant gets real stressed it's more likely a goner, after a few days I just pulled up what looked hopeless and let the rest alone. My biggest concern is what is going on in my tomatoes. I suspect it is Tobacco Mosaic virus. I've never seen it in 12 years gardening, and get the impression that it's not that common here in Dallas. I took some leaves to the Dallas County extension, where I was told it was spider mites. I didn't laugh out loud, but I suspect that I wasn't talking to a vegetable gardener. I've sent pictures to Chris Corby at Texas Gardener magazine, who has sent them to a plant pathologist. I haven't heard back yet. It is affecting the plant, blossoms, and fruit. I've been researching Tobacco mosaic some. It is a challenging desease. Does anyone have any insight?

Attachments:
IMG_0943.jpg
IMG_0943.jpg [ 124.34 KiB | Viewed 11443 times ]
may17th10 disease potatotomato beans 6.jpg
may17th10 disease potatotomato beans 6.jpg [ 199.59 KiB | Viewed 11441 times ]
IMG_0940.jpg
IMG_0940.jpg [ 132.27 KiB | Viewed 11440 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:39 am 

I have not seen the Tobacco Mosaic virus and would be very interested in hearing what they say. Keep us posted. I did read about being careful what you use to cover your potatoes with cause it will heat up and kill them. Good call on that one I think.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:51 am 

This is blight out the wazzoooo. Early blight that's gone on too long.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:53 am 

And those potato plants have wilt... What are you doing in that garden! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:14 pm 

Well, I heard back from Chris Corby that Dr. Kevin Ong said that the pictures looked like roundup damage, and that Skip Richter, a horticulturist also thought it might be herbicide damage. It doesn't seem to be the solution to me, because I have not used roundup widely for years. I do use a few drops at a time on the stubs of little volunteer junk trees when I cut them off at the ground, and my garden is too protected by fences and buildings to have gotten enough herbicide drift to speak of. Dirt Face, I've seen blight plenty of times and this seems to be something different. I wonder if Howard has any insight? I have an assortment of other pictures if anyone wants a closer look.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:33 am 

As I was just saying on the show, the regular treatment with Garrett Juice and Thrive is showing to prevent these problems. One of my commercial friends is adding Bio Wash to each gallon of every spray and claims it helps growth as well as promoting growth. Actively feeding insects should be sprayed with EcoSMART for a quick kill.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:54 am 

Howard, what do you think my problem may be? Do you recognize any specific disease at work here?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:51 pm 

It is the drops of round-up you said you ARE using. 2 different Drs. have identified it. Stop using the round-up.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:42 am 

Dirt Face, I don't think you understand my use of round up. When little volunteer junk trees come up, they are usually around the fence or in a weedy back corner of my property. I'm talking about pencil size or smaller. So I cut them off at the ground level and spritz the stub with round up with the spray nozzle right on the stub. This is the round up that comes in it's own spray bottle, not my big garden pump sprayer. The affected plants shown in the pictures were 30 feet away, and were not growing near each other, but in several places in the veggie beds. It defies logic to think that a few drops of roundup drizzled on these little stumps 30 feet away could affect plants that were 3-5 feet tall and big, bushy and healthy looking. I did use round up widely once years ago, I slaughtered my back ally strip with it. I saw several dead grass snakes of the next few days, and knew I had made a mistake. Never done that again, for years now. I'm pretty sure that I have a new pump sprayer now than I would have had back then, but can't be absolutely sure, so I can't rule out sprayer contamination with perfect certainty. I'm thinking of doing an experiment where I spray a plant with water out of this pump and see if it gets sick.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:25 pm 

How does little drops of round-up at 30 feet away from these plants defy logic? Are you serious? STOP USING THE ROUND UP.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:52 pm 

Dirt Face, you are hysterical. I'm an experienced veg gardener, and I have an interesting and perplexing problem. I've posted good pictures of it and have solicited intelligent conversation about it. If you can give me an explanation of how a few drops of round up at soil level could migrate 30 feet away and affect 4 large bushy plants, please do. If you can't, then you need to stand down. I only want to hear from other experienced gardeners who have some real insight or intelligent speculation.