It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Sick Peach Tree?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:29 pm 

First noticed sap/gum coming out of tops of limbs after the big hail storm in early April. Saw many cracks/slits/cuts in bark along tops of limbs, assumed it was hail damage. Maybe it is. Recently, large amounts of sap/gum is coming out of tops of limbs. Only the tops of the limbs. Last night, the wind broke a large limb. There is what appears to be a thin, white fungus like material inside the limb. It can be removed rather easily, like it's not part of the wood. Maybe this is normal, I don't often view the insides of peach tree limbs. Other than the sap/gum, these trees do not appear to be in any great distress (to my untrained eye). They have also experienced some leaf curl and there is a probable white fungus growing around the base. Do I have big problems? What's going on with these trees and what do I do about it? Please do not suggest pruning. The affected areas are so great, I might as well eliminate the trees altogether.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:21 am 

Here are two thoughts on your problem:
1. Stone fruits like peaches, nectarines, plums and apricots often can have these bleeding cankers on branches, root collars and twigs.
Sometimes the tree's vitality allows it to grow out of it; other times the tree can be weakened and allow the disease to overtake it.
Amber colored discharge (gummosis)can be related to many diseases or insect problems such as borer larvae. Try searching on Google under terms such as cytospora, valsa, brown rot or black knot canker.
2. Could be Leucostoma/Valsa or Cytospora infection. Little can be done except to maintain vigor and remove dead and diseased portions as practical. Water during drought, fertilize and mulch. No miracle cure.
Look for chewed wood shavings near the gummosis to see if borer larvae could also be doing this. They will leave an exit hole when they emerge.