It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:34 pm 

I've noticed that in some of the Dirt Doctor's online publications he says to put out corn gluten meal around March and then again the first of June. Does anyone follow this strategy as well? I was gonna buy a bag for $19.99 at my feed store this week and put it out to prevent anymore nasty crabgrass from germinating. I already have too much of it as it is and wanna cover anymore seeds that might germinate late. Would this be wise or a waste?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:09 pm 

whitenerj wrote:
I've noticed that in some of the Dirt Doctor's online publications he says to put out corn gluten meal around March and then again the first of June. Does anyone follow this strategy as well? I was gonna buy a bag for $19.99 at my feed store this week and put it out to prevent anymore nasty crabgrass from germinating. I already have too much of it as it is and wanna cover anymore seeds that might germinate late. Would this be wise or a waste?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:32 am 

CGM is a better fertilizer than it is a preemergent. You can NEVER go wrong using it to fertilizer, but in my experience and in reading studies that I trust, you can never trust it to keep weeds down. If cost is an issue, use ordinary corn meal, alfalfa, or soy bean meal, depending on what bag has the best price.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:49 pm 

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
CGM is a better fertilizer than it is a preemergent. You can NEVER go wrong using it to fertilizer, but in my experience and in reading studies that I trust, you can never trust it to keep weeds down. If cost is an issue, use ordinary corn meal, alfalfa, or soy bean meal, depending on what bag has the best price.

Is there another product you find effective?

Weeds have never been an issue in my yard. I will have some creep over from my neighbor's yard. Those I pull. I assumed my lack of weeds was due to using a preemergent.

Thanks
!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:39 am 

Before I changed to organic I had tried chemical preemergents...and could not tell any difference. When I changed to organic I tried CGM...and could not tell any difference. So no, I don't rely on corn gluten meal as a preemergent. I rely on dense turf to keep weeds out. Unfortunately in my back yard I HAD 95% shade and thin turf. Weeds are a problem. However we just had a storm hit us and took out all the trees on the west side of my house. Now we have full sun in the afternoons. That will make a huge difference in my back yard...at least I expect it will.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:00 pm 

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
Before I changed to organic I had tried chemical preemergents...and could not tell any difference. When I changed to organic I tried CGM...and could not tell any difference. So no, I don't rely on corn gluten meal as a preemergent. I rely on dense turf to keep weeds out. Unfortunately in my back yard I HAD 95% shade and thin turf. Weeds are a problem. However we just had a storm hit us and took out all the trees on the west side of my house. Now we have full sun in the afternoons. That will make a huge difference in my back yard...at least I expect it will.

Damn, sounds like it was a hell of a storm... 3 trees in the same storm? :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:49 pm 

In Jeff Gillman's book, the Truth About Organic Gardening, he talks about CGM as an effective pre-emergent that really takes a couple of years to take hold. If you are committed to Organic methods, and go with the program steadily for a few years, this will be a help. If you need more immediate results, you may be disappointed. I have to say that his book makes a of of sense and I would encourage others to read it. Dirt Face, you responded to my first post about this book. Have you had a chance to look at it?