It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:52 am 

That is really odd. Was the tree dead-dead or did it just drop all its leaves? You can tell if there's life in a branch by scraping the bark back and seeing if there is any green under there.

You said this and the healthy one both got the same water, fertilizer and so forth. Two other things to check: drainage and light exposure. Is one area being shaded part of the day vs the other one? How does the drainage compare in the two sites? Yo'd be surprised how that can differ in as little as 10 feet.

How about under the soil? Any chance the hurt tree encountered a utility line of some sort?

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:53 am 

Check for ANY signs of damage and then dig around both a bit and compare the soil. Just a few feet in the same yard can mean a large difference in drainage, and I'm not talking about surface runoff. I'm talking soil absorption and distribution of water.

It can mean the difference between between black clay with a trace of white rock and black clay covering a massive vein of nearly solid white rock.

Let us know what you find.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:22 pm 

I have a Chinese Pistache that I transplanted last summer, the leaves changed color and fell off for the winter and now no new growth that I can see. Like yours though, you scratch the bark and it's green underneath. So I don't think it's dead. But what do I do to bring it back to life and get some leaves. I'm just giving it a lot of water. Don't know what else to do. To the last poster...what are you doing to help yours?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:57 am 

This is just my own personal preference, but it's been my experience that even a 10 gallon tree will often struggle in full Texas sun if it's sandy soil. I try to plant saplings. Their root systems are more intact and better equipped to support its top.