It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Blight
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:15 pm 

Can anyone help? I live in Parker County, just 3 miles from the Courthouse. I have approx 3/4 to 1 acre garden. My potatoes were attacked by the potato beatle this year, and recovered a little with organic pest control, but soon succombed to blight. Leaves turning yellow, stems dying...wilting. I sprayed with cornmeal water, even sprinkling cornmeal in the dirt and working it in. It did not stop. Now the blight has moved on to my tomato plants. Beautiful plants one day, the next wilting and dying, turning brown...some with yellow leaves at the bottom in the beginning, some not. It seems to attack fast. Most of the tomatoes which have suffered from the blight so far are Mortgage Lifter, Cherokee Purple, and Brandwine...all heirlooms. I have even lost a couple of Early Girls. All these tomatoes were started from seed by me except the ML's and the CP's I bought at a local feed store.

What can be done to stop the blight? Is there any stopping it. I have pulled up all the affected plants, and put them in plastic bags to discard. But it seems everyday I go out, and another plant is infected.

When I retill the soil, am I going to be spreading the fungus more? What can be planted in it's place? The tomatoes are all over the garden, not in any one particular spot.

Please help? What can I do to get rid of the blight, or keep it from coming back? I would like to plant some fall tomatoes soon, but I am afraid they will be struck with the blight too.

HELP???

crazygardenertx

Post subject: Re: Blight
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:17 am 

Anybody?

crazy