It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Grasshoppers
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:47 pm 

I have used Kaolin Clay for grasshoppers and it works great in keeping them off the garden plants. I am going to make a trip to the airport (DFW) soon an I was wondering, around that area where I might find a nursary or organic place that would carry the Kaolin Clay.

Also, we come from Hugo, Oklahoma, and travel through Durant, Sherman, Denison............to DFW, so anywhere in that area also that may have a place for the clay.

Thanks

LaDonna

Post subject: Re: Grasshoppers
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:32 pm 

I have a huge grasshopper problem they're eating everything in sight, trees,plants shrubs. I live in southwest colorado. I have chickens and plenty of birds around but I have thousands of grasshoppers. Any ideas would be great.

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 am 

jmgoats, you must have been reading my replies to grasshopper problems. I always suggest people with grasshopper problems get chickens, ducks, or invite the birds with a bird bath, feeder, or bird houses. :D :D You apparently have done all that and still have the pests. How many free running chickens do you have? Do have anything that attracts birds to the yard? I know this is an organic forum so I should not have to ask this, but have you used any chemical pesticides or herbicides recently? I know some people use organic fertilizer but also use some pesticides, so I have to ask.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:51 am 

I have about 35 free range chickens I haven't and I don't intend to use any chemicals. I'd rather find some other way to defeat the beasts. Thank for your reply.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:20 pm 

I live in north central Texas.The grasshoppers are eating everything in my vegetable garden.Is there a safe way to get rid of them?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:04 pm 

We live in Granbury TX, which is SW of Fort Worth. I get Nolo Bait each year. This will be my 3rd year and they say (on the package inserts) it could take 3-4 years to eliminate the grass hoppers.

I put some out Saturday, June 19th and am already seeing sickly hoppers.
I don't think we'll ever eradicate them around here as we live in the country and nobody else puts anything out. We have lots of birds and a flock of chickens, too.

I do believe the Nolo Bait is every effective. Ordering online we paid $115 for 25 pounds (shipping was $22) and we have 24 acres.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:55 am 

Let me clarify, please:
Quote:
The shipping cost was part of that total in my other post. 25 pounds of the nolo bait was $84.50 and $22 for shipping. The local place wanted $32 for about 4 pounds.