It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Fruit Fly control
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:55 pm 

Help! I have an invasion of fruit flies in my home. Majority are in the kitchen but they do go to the other rooms as well. What can I use organically to get rid of them.

Post subject: Re: Fruit Fly control
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:35 pm 

A lot of people recommend cider vinegar (or homemade kombucha works well). It has to be in a closed container with small openings. I've used cone shaped coffee filters wrapped and taped in a tight cone (like you could use as a small megaphone) with a small opening at the bottom. I then take the cone and put it into a bottle with a smallish opening. The bottom of the bottle or jar has the cider vinegar in it. Currently I have a mason jar with holes poked into the canning lid. The idea is that it is easy for the fruit flies to get in but a lot harder for them to find a way out so they eventually drown inside.

This has helped but the best thing, in my opinion, is to find the source of where they are laying eggs and reproducing. For me I had lots of fresh produce coming in from the garden that didn't go into the refrigerator (especially the tomatoes). A friend mentioned that she used bleach on her produce to kill the eggs which I of course didn't want to use. So, I thought about hydrogen peroxide and sprayed that on my tomatoes and it seemed to drastically reduce the fly population.

Hope that helps some,
Jolene

Post subject: Re: Fruit Fly control
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:06 am 

Bingo!!! This makes sense. I have noticed that on my kombucha brewing jars that these critters flock to the top of these jars while brewing. I've been leaving my kefir jars after they are empty on the counter to catch many of them. I pop the lid on and wait for them to die. I've cleaned my kitchen until my hands are raw trying to rid the area. Thank you for your input. I'll try another method of brewing to see if this helps. I'll let everyone know if it works.