It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:59 am 

Hi all,

Here in south Louisiana. I have an Arizona Ash that I planted 10 years ago. I have noticed in the last six to eight months that leaves begin yellowing and then dying at unusual times. Subsequently, the branches end up dying as well, while the rest of the tree in vibrant and green. I noticed that the branches that are dead/dying have pink splotches with small black dots on them. Any ideas on what is going on? I used to fertilize the tree every spring and fall but have neglected to do so over the last two years. Thanks for any input!

Charles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:48 am 

i gave up on the Arizona Ash here in dallas years ago...it was always attracting borers, was weak and puny.

look at the bark to see if you have critter problem...you did not say if the pink splotches started on healthy branches, or grew on the deadwood....

2 thoughts.
prune the tree agressively for weak branches, removing any of the affected limbs, (and remove cuttings from yard by burning or if in city, bulk pick up to prevent reinfestation)

you may need to send a sample to the local ag extension agent for identification of the pink splotch, which may indicate a specific soil or foliar treatment for the tree against future visitors.

(or do like i did and euthanize the poor thing, get something for that spot that is better adapted)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:02 pm 

This is what the Dirt Doctor's forum says on them:

PROBLEMS: It is susceptible to all kinds of problems. It is short lived to begin with but also susceptible to insects, diseases and freeze damage in the northern part of the state. It was introduced as a drought tolerant, low maintenance tree but is far from it. The only reason it is on the market is that It is easy to grow from seed or stem cuttings.

PROPAGATION: Best not - it's a junky tree.

INSIGHT: These photographs make it look like a pretty good tree, but don’t be fooled. In its native habitat and occasionally in the rest of Texas the fall color is outstanding, but the tree is simply not a good investment.