It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Blueberries
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:43 pm 

Q: I planted 3 blueberry plants in May in our backyard. We prepped the soil in the way that the plant guide on the bush instructed us. One of the plants has been a very pale green all summer and has not grown much at all. The second plants has turned a fall purple type color and has grown some. The third plant has done pretty well. It is starting to get a little pale green but actually has grown some and has some tall shoots. I've searched the internet for advise on blueberry plants but haven't been able to find any help. Please give me your opinion on what to do, hopefully they won't die over the winter. Thanks

A: Here are the comments from a commercial grower friend.

1. Get a soil and petiole test from Texas Plant Soil Lab. I suspect she's a bit low in iron and magnesium. New shoots she's seeing are a good sign. Once she gets here soil test back let us know what it says.

2. Make sure the plants are not flush with the ground - in other words planted in a fashion that will give the roots a chance to not sit in water or water to pool around the plant base. If they are, she should consider raising them up once they go dormant. Use 3-4 inches of some compost / tree trimmings over the top of the mounds. Make sure no weeds are within 24 inch diameter around the plants.

3. Begin immediately (if she is not already) watering once per week with garrett juice plus. If they were mine I'd add twice the reco'd amount of Apple Cider Vinegar to the mix to help lower the ph environ around the roots...this may help release some iron and magnesium if its not available. Put a gallon of nutrient mix on each plant twice per week, subject to rainfall. Water in between each day as needed. Blueberry plants are different than many others...they must be watered consistently - not necessarily daily - but in a fashion which presents moisture to the roots when they need it - especially when its hot. They really evapotranspirate the water when its hot.

4. Begin immediately foliar feeding twice per week with the same mix per your reco'd amounts with a mister of some kind being careful to catch the underside of the leaves and following your guidelines for timing in the early mornings.

Best regards - Lance