It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Compost Thermometer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:55 pm 

After starting my first compost pile a couple of months ago and trying to guesstimate how hot the pile was getting, I invested in a compost thermometer this week. Got it from Marshall Grain Co in Fort Worth for $24. My first reading was 120 degrees, and that's about a week after my last turning. I mixed in about 50 lbs of Starbuck's used coffee grounds last night. Now i'm going to let it sit for a few days and measure again.

I've heard that 120-140 degrees is optimum so I'll see what the coffee does to it. I know lots of you don't feel the need to turn that often, but since I'm new to all this, I just like to get out about once a week and dig in the pile to see how things are progressing.

Post subject: Re: Compost Thermometer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:17 pm 

That kind of information isn't necessary to have good compost, but it is interesting if you have the time and equipment to collect it. :)

I just gauge how well the compost is cooking by the condition when I turn over a fork-full. You can see and smell it cooking if it is getting hot.

Have fun!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:37 pm 

Since I'm new to this, I'm putting in a little extra effort, figuring out what works and what doesn't. I'm sure that I'll pay a little less attention to the compost pile after I've been at it awhile.

My 9 and 11 year olds came out with me to rake leaves this morning, then turn the compost pile. They really enjoyed looking at all the worms and the different bugs they found as we mucked the pile around.

Now, I have 10 bags of leaves saved up to start the next pile after this one gets finished. :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:30 am 

Leave the rest of your leaves on the lawn and use a mulching mower to grind them in situ and do the yard a huge service. Be sure your mower blade is very sharp. You WILL be composting, just in a small way over a broad area. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:09 pm 

First of all,$24 is way too much for a CP-thermometer,and second,please post your highest temps. you get from your pile.I see that your in northern Texas,I'm down here in Austin and I've seen my pile get up to 200 degrees (+) in the middle of summer. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:13 pm 

I didnt start until last fall and the hottest I ever got was 155d.