It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: yellow jackets and wasps
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:25 am 

How do you keep yellow jackets and wasps away from the pool during the summer. It never fails that in the middle of the day when we go out to the pool there are 10 -15 bees on the water. I know the saying "leave them alone and they will leave you alone" but, having kids I worry about them stinging. Any suggestions????

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:01 am 

I think I've noticed that when the kids start playing in the water, the wasps leave for awhile. It gets hard to count them with all the choppy water. Do a few cannonballs and see how many are left :lol:

My daughter was stung in a pool when she was three. She didn't know what the wasp was and picked it up on her wrist. Knowing her she was trying to pet it or something, she neglected to tell me the specific details in the midst of the aftermath and all the crying. Since then; however, I have managed to teach her that wasps are not to be feared. She has taken that lesson to heart and now lets them alone even when one gets in the house.

Post subject: Citronella spray
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:06 pm 

Get a product called Skeeter D'Feeter from your local Lowe's or other garden center. It is citronella based. Citronella is a grass that is native to Asia. You can spray it all around your pool on plants, stones, cement, wood, etc. and it will really help keep the wasps & bees away. It's recommended for this use, won't hurt the balance of chemicals in the water or surfaces you spray it on, smells nice and works. YOu have to reapply it every 2 weeks or so but I know from experience that it really will work. Try it and you'll be pleased. My family is grateful we found it.