It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:47 am 

In a wheel barrow, I mixed Texas Greensand and corn meal together to give my lawn some greener color and also stop the little black soot fungus I've seen on my lawn.
I spread it out using a plastic cup and by sort of throwing it on my lawn. I'm sure I missed some spots, but does that matter? Will some spots of my lawn be greener than others or have better fungus protection than others? I know chemical fertilizers emphasize that you need to spread out their stuff evenly, but is it the same for organic fertilizers?

I spread out alfalfa pellets the same way, since they can't fit thru a drop spreader. Again, does it matter if I miss some spots?

PS: One of the great benefits of using organic fertilizers is that I can let my 3 yr old son help me spread out the stuff without any fear of needing to detox him afterwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:09 am 

elyders

I have practiced a similar method of applying organic amendments for many years now. In fact just yesterday evening I tossed out a mixture of corn meal, molasses, and wheat bran literally by hand. I have never experienced spotty greening. I have always reasoned this was due to the fact that you are feeding the soil and micro organisms. Though the soil is static, micro organisms and earthworms are not.

It is a wonderful idea to begin teaching your son about gardening and taking care of the environment at such an early age. <Pausing for a moment of nostalgia> From the time they were toddlers, we taught both of my children (both in their 20s now) about environmental issues and how we each have a responsibility to lessen our impact on our planet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:50 pm 

In the past I have used store bought fertilizers like Scotts. I would like to know more about organic fertilization of my lawn which is St. Augustine. When you refer to using corn meal on your lawn are you referring to Horticultural corn meal or what? And can you use some finely chopped corn? My grass looks very healthy right now but I know in a few weeks with the heat some of it may become stressed. We usually end up with some yellowing. We have a lot of sand, clay, and acid type soil here. Any ideas and suggestions would be welcome. :)

Dancey
zone 8b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:01 am 

Dancey,

Be sure and read the FAQs in the General Gardening & Landscaping area:
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=564

I use corn meal from a feed store. Whether it's horticultural or not doesn't matter too much. You can use Aunt Jemima from the grocery store if you like.
Chopped corn is different from corn meal. Both can be used as a fertilizer, but only corn meal gives you the anti-fungal benefits.

For the yellow lawn, look at using Alfalfa as a fertilizer and then Texas Greensand as a supplement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:59 pm 

Thanks so much for your reply! :) I had bought a sack of chopped corn meal at the feed store. At least that's how it was labeled. I applied it early this morning and watered it in well. I will get some Alfalfa too for the yellowing that I know will begin as the weather gets hotter and dryer. I guess I can get that at the feed store too. I will also check into the Texas Greensand. I've never heard of that before. I haven't read and studied the FAQ in the Gardening and Landscaping area yet but I will.

Dancey
Zone 8b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:37 am 

Dancey wrote:
Thanks so much for your reply! :) I had bought a sack of chopped corn meal at the feed store. At least that's how it was labeled. I applied it early this morning and watered it in well. I will get some Alfalfa too for the yellowing that I know will begin as the weather gets hotter and dryer. I guess I can get that at the feed store too. I will also check into the Texas Greensand. I've never heard of that before. I haven't read and studied the FAQ in the Gardening and Landscaping area yet but I will.

Dancey
Zone 8b

Are you saying your St Augustine yellows in the summer? Mine doesn't, so maybe you have another problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:38 pm 

Yes certain areas of the St. Augustine do have some yellowing in the hot, dry summer months. The grass in the shade never has any yellowing. Of course we have grasshoppers too that can do some damage to our lawn so that may be part of the problem or the whole problem. ? I've also seen some crickets in the lawn.

Dancey
Zone 8b