It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Organic food cost
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Question: You often say organic gardening is less expensive. Why are the organic foods so much more expensive? Do you know any where to buy real whole milk buttermilk?

Answer: You can save money on your own property by using natural organic practices and products. One of the biggest saving is the 30 - 50% reduction in the watering of your landscape. You will also have less insect and disease issues. Your property gets healthier and healthier each year. Same with your health and your pet's health. Growing some of your own food also saves money and will provide more nutritious foods.

Many foods in the grocery stores are still pricey due to buying practices. As more natural organic food and products are produced and as stores buy more farm to market products, the prices should get better. There are many farmers markets where you can buy farm to market products at competitive prices.

Contact Kent Jisha to buy real whole milk products: http://www.localharvest.org/texas-daily-harvest-M33172

We are working with farmers, growers and retail stores encouraging them to be more natural organic in their practices.

We appreciate your support.

Post subject: Re: Organic food cost
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:11 pm 

I don't think the food one gets from gardening is less expensive. By the time you've spent hours in the garden working the general work one does, plus the seeds or bedding plants, the water system, the fertilization with organic and compost sources, the sharp eyes for pests and their treatment (I try to mechanically remove them - by hand - when I see them, but I have the usual organic treatments as well), there is no way that what comes out of my garden costs less than what I could purchase in the grocery store.

But when I walk through even the high-end grocery stores and see, for example, the okra that is kind of battered from having been picked and then transported and put out for sale, and think of the plants in my garden that I literally pick in the afternoon and cook for dinner, the value is clear. I pick a tomato and put it directly in a salad, the true "vine ripe" that stores can only pretend at. I know how they were grown, I know they are the freshest possible, and I know how to preserve this to eat during the off season. I'm "shopping my freezer" and pantry now, preparing meals with high quality ingredients, that essentially, money can't buy.

Don't put in a garden if you want to save money. Put in a garden if you want to eat healthy and enjoy the convenience of having those beautiful crops right there when you need them.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:32 pm 

I agree that Northwesterner is right on. My husband and I were asked the other day: "How much time do you spend in your garden?" (emphasis because we are almost always bringing up something about our garden, the food, or working in it. :)

We thought about it a bit and decided that, counting the time we both spend, we put in an average of 60 hours a week in our garden which is about 70% of our residential lot (1/6th acre). Many days, however, we are both outside from 7:00 or 8:00 a.m. until late into the afternoon, working straight through, stopping only to re-hydrate or have a meal.

That said, last year was our first year to grow multiple rows of about 8 different veggies. While we both enjoyed the whole process, I found that the thing I liked the very best was having fresh, beautiful, healthy, pesticide- and herbicide-free food coming right up out of our yard. I found myself waiting eagerly to see what the bag held after my husband did the harvesting that day. Whatever was in it, was dinner. :D

There is nothing I can buy in the store, or even at the farmer's market, that can beat that feeling of anticipation and accomplishment.

Take time to stop and smell the flowers!
(or... as my ladybug refrigerator magnet says
"take time to stop and eat the flowers!" :D)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:58 pm 

Too bad jimmyhusten wasn't a real poster, he is a spammer visiting the site.

I agree - the time I spend in my garden is moot. There is total pleasure in making meals from the ingredients in my garden. I have some things, like my spaghetti sauce, that is almost 100% from the garden - onions, garlic, tomatoes, basil, oregano, and it's wonderful. Being able to head out the door for chard or an onion when you're cooking makes the meal so much healthier and inspiring.