It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:37 pm 

I know not to use apple flavored vinegar, but I didn't see that on the 5% apple cider vinegar from Walmart. Is it OK to use? It is considerably cheaper than the vinegar sold at $organic$ shops. Could it be boiled down to make 10%?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:59 am 

Other than supporting your local garden & feed stores, it doesn't matter where you buy your 5% apple cider vinegar; in fact, years ago grocery stores were about the only places one could find it. Don't know if you could boil it down to 10%; it might just boil away & stay at 5%. The 10% can be found cheaply at garden & feed stores. Call around for pricing & make sure it is made from organic sources.

Ck the link below for more info.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6838&highlight=vinegar

Last edited by khwoz on Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:58 pm 

Thanks KHWOZ. The link was extremely helpful.

Post subject: Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:20 pm 

A comment on apple cider vinegar. If you are using apple cider vinegar for yourself, such as in salad dressing or as part of a morning cleansing drink, be sure you get 'raw' apple cider vinegar. Two good brands are Bragg's and Spectrum. All the healthy properties are destroyed when it is pasteurized. I also put a bit (one tsp to one Tbl) of the raw apple cider vinegar in my chickens' water. It is healthy for them too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:47 am 

A little off topic - why would vinegar need to be pasteurized? Does it spoil?

Post subject: Sad Answer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:29 am 

You pose an interesting question. Here is a sad but true answer below. For some reason, it is believed that 'dead' food is the safest, healthiest choice, and nothing could be more wrong.

ACV – MOTHER NATURE'S PERFECT FOOD
Natural (undistilled) organic, raw ACV can really be called one of Mother Nature's most perfect foods. It is made from fresh, crushed apples which are then allowed to mature naturally in wooden barrels, as wood seems to "boost" the natural fermentation. Natural ACV should be rich, brownish color and if held to the light you might see a tiny formation of "cobweb-like" substances that we call the "mother." Usually some "mother" will show in the bottom of the ACV bottle the more it ages. It never needs refrigeration. You can also save some "mother" and transfer it to work in other natural vinegars. When you smell natural ACV, there's a pungent odor and sometimes it's so ripened it puckers your mouth and smarts your eyes – these are natural, good signs.

WHY HAS NATURAL APPLE CIDER VINEGAR DISAPPEARED FROM GROCERS' SHELVES?
The blame for the disappearance of natural raw Apple Cider Vinegar from supermarkets lies on the shoulders of the general public, as well as the producers of vinegar.

Most people buy food with their eyes, not thinking of good nutrition. The vinegar producers failed to enlighten the public on what powerful health qualities were locked within natural ACV. Why? Because most of them had not the slightest knowledge of the health values of natural, raw, organic, unfiltered, cloudy (and to some, less attractive-looking) Apple Cider Vinegar with the "mother." They produced pasteurized, refined and distilled vinegars because the public demanded the clear look. It was simply filling current supply and demand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:33 pm 

Thank you for the very informative reply. From the info. you posted, I can assume that the pasteurizing will kill the "Mother" in the vinegar. The reasons you listed are very real. Manufactures produce what the public buys; white flour, white sugar, white bread, white rice, etc. The list goes on & on. People blame manufactures for a lot of this but it is the general public that is at fault. Manufactures make & sell what you buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:24 am 

Of the subject a bit but its the same way w/packages for our food-why oh why do we need all the cardboard around most of our foodstuff!? Think of the landfill space, etc. Not to mention the cost savings it would be to the manufacturers. We have to buy so much that is made like we DON'T want but we buy it anyway, I'll bet if all manufacturers stopped making the expensive packaging at the same time, the public would just 'shrug' & buy.
Patty

Post subject: plus size sexy bras
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:22 pm 

It is interesting. You will not prompt to me, where I can read about it?
Excuse, it is removed
I would like to talk to you, to me is what to tell on this question.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:58 am 

So can ayone elaborate on the actual benefits of using ACV in our liquid sprays. For instance, What purpose does it serve in Garret Juice?

I've known some horse owner's who sprayed it over their animals feed, supposedly helped to keep flys away from the horses (after consumption).