It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:44 pm 

My pitbull/ lab mix is losing hair in spots on her sides,
literal spots, she looks like a leopard.
She eats Priority Care dog food, and is bathed in Pro Nourish dog shampoo.
Occasionally we use fruictose conditioner to get rid of the horrible odor of the dog shampoo.
She is bathed every three to four days to get rid of what fleas she had.
She doesn't scratch or chew herself, she doesn't have fleas anymore.
She has a little bit of dandruff in the areas she is losing fur, not much though.
What is this? And what can I do to take car of it?
Any advice, or help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:52 am 

It sounds like you may be bathing the dog TOO often especially to get rid of fleas. There are many dog shampoos out there containing citrus oil (I think it's called D-limonene) or just a simple baby shampoo once a week, followed by an orange oil (mild) solution.
I had a puppy (3 of them actually) dumped at my home and he had terrible mange and sores all over his body. Needless to say, he had very little hair and alligator type cracking all over his face and exposed skin. The Humane Society sent a volunteer to remove the pups but I thought I could help the remaining one so after they dipped him in a mitacide product, I started using Melalueca oil 1/4 (tea tree oil) and 3/4 olive oil and rubbed it on his skin after bathing him. No one could believe the change in my pup and the volunteer carried pictures of before and after to show others in her group what an amazing change in just 1 month. I also gave him Brewer's Yeast tablets containing Garlic daily. I saw a change in as little as 1 week! He's a happy dog right now with no hair loss or problems other than a scar or two from his prior mistreatment.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:26 am 

Yes you are Giving bath to your dog too often you have to give your dog time to generate Body oil. you can give Syrup Enriched with Omega 3, omega 6 and Fatty acid to make her skin & coat condition healthier and yes don't use medicated shampoo if flea, ticks or lice are gone.