It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Comfrey
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:53 pm 

Where is the best source of Comfrey in Ft. Worth? I want to boil it and make Comfrey Tea to put on my small dog. How much do I need to boil, and what strength to use? All help greatly appreciated.
Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:24 am 

Most of the organic-oriented garden centers will have iit in stock. If you are trying to help skin problems, you might try the horticultural cornmeal first. If you use the comfrey, don't do it often. Although a great herb, it is very powerful.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:40 am 

Thanks, HG. What quantity would I use in the boil, and for how long? Afterward I know I'm supposed to dilute to look like "weak tea", but is there something a little more exact? I'm using on my dog who suffers from allergies, especially grass, and of course the fleeting flea bite. I do not have fleas in my yard or house, but walk him everyday in parks around the West Side of Ft. Worth. He's extremely allegic to flea saliva. I recently purchased a pet spray made by Cedarcide, which is a solution of cedar oil and juniper (very mild) and that really seems to help with his itching. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:25 am 

You can make a paste of ground up fresh comfrey leaves and apply as a poultice or you can strain fresh comfrey leaves blended with a little water and apply it to the irritated area. If you want to make a tea, brew the comfrey leaves or root in distilled or soft water (not good to use hard water) by bringing it just to the boil and then steeping it with the lid on for 10 to 30 minutes. Allantoin (one of comfrey's most powerful healing components) is more soluble in hot water rather than cold, but begins decomposing quickly with prolonged heat, expecially past the boiling point. It's also at its best if not left standing in brewed form for more than 24 hours. Per cup, use about 1/2 tsp comfrey root or 1 tsp comfrey leaf (dried). That would probably be about 1 tbsp or maybe a bit more fresh. If using fresh, macerate the leaves before steeping.

Marlyn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:36 pm 

Marilyn -- Thank you so much for your reply and directions. I am having a hard time finding fresh comfrey in plant stores, or even in health food stores. Do you know of a good source to purchase fresh Comfrey? I know I'm going to plant some next year. Thanks again.