It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Coffee Grounds
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:34 pm 

Unfortunately, I don't have room for a compost pile. I throw away lots of coffee grounds daily, and was wondering if it would be beneficial to use uncomposted coffee grounds on any area of my lawn or garden. Could anyone clue me in as to the benefits and concerns regarding this?
Thanks,
K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:37 pm 

Using the Search button yielded the following post from our own Dchall_San_Antonio.

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:45 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The maximum amount of coffee grounds that should be in any compost pile is 100%. Any more and you're overdoing it.

In my case, the maximum amount should be 0% Why? Because coffee makes a great fertilizer before it's composted. It is a protein source for the soil microbes. They turn it into nitrogen directly without going through the compost process.

Post subject: Coffee Grounds
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:09 pm 

Well thanks, Mr. Clean. l had been searching on the internet, but not on Dr. Garretts website for this very information. Some people were saying that uncomposted coffee grounds would draw insects if not thoroughly worked into the soil. l couldn't really find any favorable references to using it straight from the pot, so I do appreciate your note.
K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:51 pm 

Your welcome, however the actual thanks is probably due to Dchall_San_Antonio who provided the information initially.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:30 am 

In my experience, most organic mulches that I have used like straw, leaves, hay, unfinished compost, or even old coffee grounds on top of other organic matter, repels most soil insect pests, instead of attracting them. It's mainly because decomposing organic matter builds up billions of beneficial soil/composting microbes that drive many pests crazy.

That is another reason why all organic gardeners should mulch everything in their garden beds.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:39 pm 

I made friends at the local Starbucks, and they let me take home all the coffee grounds that they would otherwise throw away on Thursdays - that is my day off from work - and it makes wonderful compost! Besides being a good nitrogen source, it seems to combine very well with the other stuff, and it seems to speed up the cooking..
drchelo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:48 pm 

Yes, I agree with the Captain. 8) Whether composted or used directly in the garden, as a mulch or worked in the soil, goffee grounds are one of the most versitle and beneficial of ammendments. They repel insects for me too! My pepper plants were so happy last year, that I will definately be trying to get my hands on more grounds this year also. The local coffee shop will be hearing from me again soon! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:59 am 

As mentioned previously, any Starbucks anywhere (in my experience at least) will gladly hand over whatever used grounds they have at the time. Many of the ones I've been to often have a small stand near the door or counter where they put bags of the stuff for composters complete with a small sign. I'd suspect that any place that goes through coffee would be more than accomodating if you ask them for their grounds since you're saving them trips to the dumpster.

~Dave Cluck