It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Pets and Pests
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:17 pm 

Hi..I have a farm which is home to livestock and an assortment of pets. Occasionally we have confrontations with Copperhead snakes. I do not use toxins under the house or around the barn. I am more afraid of secondary toxicity of the pets and usefull animals. I use sticky traps for mice in non frequented areas and wonder if there is anything as successful for the extermination or repulsion of these aggressive snakes. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:16 am 

Not foolproof but a couple of cats tend to keep snakes away and mice/rats under control. In the last 15 years I've seen one snake (harmless) & only dead mice the cats have to show me when they catch one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:20 pm 

Thanks...I am raising a kitten. I just prefer him to only have to deal with the occasional mouse. I also have two Livestock Guardian dogs which watch over the flock of sheep. The snakes I have dealt with were around the flowerbed, in the garage and in the feed room. I am hoping by eradicating the mice the snakes will go elsewhere. I do enjoy planting herbs and was wondering if there are any particular varieties which are disagreeable to snakes. I also have used product to plug holes to the inside of my feed room to keep both mice and snakes outside...and I mow what does not get grazed down by sheep and horses.

Post subject: Re: Pets and Pests
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:20 pm 

I've got a friend who works for animal control and he brings me rat snakes they have removed and turns them loose on my property. I hardly ever see droppins any more and they will kill and eat copperheads. Nature against nature works. One lives in my barn/shop abot 7 feet long . Doesn't bother any thing plus I've got a wall with shed skins from 2-6 ft long. The birds also stay out of the barn.

Post subject: Re: Pets and Pests
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:13 pm 

The larger sticky glue rat traps work well against snakes in general, and if you already use smaller mice traps then these will also catch them as well. Some rat control techniques like this will work against snakes in terms of trapping, but be aware that they will also catch other animals, like birds or squirrels, so be careful where you want to place them.

Post subject: Pestmall
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:08 pm 

Bed Bugs
I am more afraid of secondary toxicity of the pets and usefull animals. Bed bugs controlling and extermination. some products provide a list of do it yourself bed bug control pesticides treatments to kill. Get rid of bed bugs is to just use pesticides that are especially intended to be used on your mattress.