It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Orange Oil Questions
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:24 pm 

I've seen two different weed killer recipes. Both 1 gal 10% vinegar, but one with 1oz orange oil and 1/4 tsp sopa and the other with a cup of Orange oil and 1 tsp of soap. I don't care much about the soap, I figure you use just enough to make it stick to the leaves, but how about the Orange Oil? It's pretty pricey to use a cup at a time and if 1oz works as well. . . .

Also, I've heard there's a way you can make your own orange oil out of orange peels. I suppose I could stop putting them in the compost pile if I could turn them into orange oil!

Finally, I've found some 9% vinegar at the grocery store for only about $2.50 per gallon. It's made by the National Vinegar Company and is with the canning jars and stuff in the grocery store. The bottle is labeled 90 grain which is the same as 9%. (How much diffrence can 1% make?) :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:23 pm 

First I would suggest you buy your orange oil by the gallon. I have bought a gallon at each of the two organic shows where the gentleman cuts some nice discounts. If you miss those you can order from his (Texas TKO) website (I don't have it handy. If you can't find it, e-mail me or post on the forum and I will find it). If you are ever in Dallas, Elliots Hardware has carried the 64 oz size.

As for the amount of orange oil in the vinegar mixture, I don't usually measure exactly. I am going to say that you could use 1-4 oz and get the desired results. It is not absolutely required as the 20% vinegar or orange oil alone are both pretty effective. The combination of the two is a KO.

The soap, I believe, also serves as a surfactant which releases surface tension aiding in the effectiveness of the solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:01 pm 

This is just my personnal experience....
I have tried 20% vinegar with/without 1 and 2 oz of orange oil with soap.

Straight vinegar - not much...
vinegar with orange oil - not much different that the just orange oil.
1 oz per gallon - killed well - lasted 2-3 weeks.
2oz per gallon - killed completely - seemed to last about another 2 weeks.

I too have saved alot of orange peels - and waiting to learn about the extraction process. (Soccer games will give you tons of orange peels)

I would love to hear about other vinegar experiences.....

Post subject: These forums
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 5:19 pm 

It seems to me there's a duplication of effort here. See other forum questions. They address how to create your own orange oil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 2:23 pm 

I have had the best results with:
1 quart of 20% vinegar diluted with water 50-50
1/3 to 1/2 oz. orange oil
1 teaspoon of [Dr. Bronner's Peppermint] soap.

The soap acts as a surfactant and makes a little go a long way. Thus, it is more economical.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 9:31 pm 

What's the point of buying 20% at $20/gal and diluting it? Why not buy 10%? I will be even more critical of your choice of soap and it's quantity. One gallon of liquid needs only a "squirt" of soap. A squirt is "maybe" 1/2 teaspoon, or less. And Peppermint? That's really bad to put in the ground. (I know peppermint is natural). The soap should be very non aromatic, and only straight soap, such as Ivory. I use Amway's LOC which is "Liquid Organic C" cocoanut? and has NO PERFUMES and no odor. I apologize for being so strong in this message, and mean no personal attack. But there are many people reading these messages, and some may take the wrong route with "perfumy" surfactants.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 10:31 pm 

PennsyNut wrote:
What's the point of buying 20% at $20/gal and diluting it? Why not buy 10%? I will be even more critical of your choice of soap and it's quantity. One gallon of liquid needs only a "squirt" of soap. A squirt is "maybe" 1/2 teaspoon, or less. And Peppermint? That's really bad to put in the ground. (I know peppermint is natural). The soap should be very non aromatic, and only straight soap, such as Ivory. I use Amway's LOC which is "Liquid Organic C" cocoanut? and has NO PERFUMES and no odor. I apologize for being so strong in this message, and mean no personal attack. But there are many people reading these messages, and some may take the wrong route with "perfumy" surfactants.

1) Dr. Bonner's is a pure castile soap.
2) It contains water, coconut-hemp-olive oils, olive fatty acids, peppermint oil, and rosemary extract.
3) His products are 100% cruelty free, not animal tested.
4) You can (and I do) bathe with it.

The difference between 1/2 and 1 teaspoon of this soap in solution is negligible IMO. I believe the use of this product is both prudent and "organically" correct.

If you wish, you can learn more about these products by visting [url]drbronner.com[/url]

I am not affiliated with Dr. Bronner other than being a satisfied customer.

[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 1:20 pm 

Since we're totally off the orange oil topic already, I'll go ahead and ask...what is the problem with perfumy surfactants? Orange oil has quite a fragrance. And what is wrong with peppermint? Oil of wintergreen has been found to be almost like a rejuvinator for plants suffering from all sorts of diseases. Wintergreen is hard to use because it is best used as a fumigant - in other words it works well in very small inclosed places, but the scientists say it works. Is there a problem with lemon scented soaps?

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 9:00 am 

PennsyNut wrote:

No need to apologize. Discussing different thoughts and ideas can be enlightening. :)
When shopping for vinegar, I look for 10% but all I find is 20%.
Why is peppermint bad? Peppermint does have a strong smell, as does orange oil. It is their nature.
The amount of soap I use is inconsequential. Yucca extract is also a good surfactant.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 9:08 am 

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
Since we're totally off the orange oil topic already, I'll go ahead and ask...what is the problem with perfumy surfactants? Orange oil has quite a fragrance. And what is wrong with peppermint? Oil of wintergreen has been found to be almost like a rejuvinator for plants suffering from all sorts of diseases. Wintergreen is hard to use because it is best used as a fumigant - in other words it works well in very small inclosed places, but the scientists say it works. Is there a problem with lemon scented soaps?

I am not sure if their would be a problem with using lemon scented soap, but would be much more comfortable in using it if the scent was natural.
I did not know that oil of wintergreen was good for treating plants. How interesting.

The Laws of Ecology:

Post subject: Yipes
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:45 am 

Okay, here I go again. First, if you use orange oil and the smell is what is helpfull, then why add peppermint? My point is "I am frugal". I use whatever is cheapest. Amway's LOC is expensive, but when using a drop or two, so what? Bschift asked about 9%. I buy it at H-E-B for $1.99/gal. And I agree, what's the difference? 1 lowsy percent. And those who buy 20% and then dilute it - DUH! Also, Bschift's original question included
"how do I make it". I just posted my formula in the new forum on "home brews". It's so easy and cheap, why pay $15 for it? AFAIAC, it's free when you make it. (except for the cost of electricity, etc.)

Post subject: Re: Yipes
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:14 pm 

PennsyNut wrote:
Okay, here I go again. First, if you use orange oil and the smell is what is helpfull,

Following the original post, the use of orange oil was as a component of a weed killer. I don't believe smell has anything to do with that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:29 pm 

bschift, I hope this answers your original questions:

Vinegar is a natural acid, the percentage on the bottle identifies the percentage of acid to fluid, meaning 20% is stronger with a higher acid content than 10%. It breaks down the cell walls of the plants, stopping photosynthesis and killing them if their root system isn't strong enough to allow them to regenerate. Orange oil or d-limonene is a natural solvent that also breaks down the cell walls. Using a cup of orange oil vs. an ounce of concentrated d-limonene (orange oil with the oil & most other fluid removed) is the difference you see in the recipes. The combination of the two natural compounds is a powerful plant killer.

The soap is of no consequence unless the scent or some other property is created by an artificial based compound, therein introducing chemicals to your property that you don't want. Organic1 identified the soap she used as it is exactly what Mr. Clean clarified it to be; pure, natural and organic. Peppermint oil is a concentrate of the plant extract and has no ill effects on soil or plants that I know of. I know a very old woman who sprays Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap mixed with water as her only insect control. She has a beautiful organic garden and doesn't need it much but it's all she every uses.

Let's play nice, guys! :lol:

Post subject: Orange Oil Questions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:07 pm 

I live in Corsicana, TX and was just wondering if there is a place, that anybody knows of to get Orange Oil down there? We just put in our vegetable garden and want to get the Orange Oil to keep out the pests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:20 pm 

Try your local home improvement store or feed store. If that doesn't work then you can order it directly from any number of internet retailers.

TKO Orange or GreenSense Citrus Oil for starters.

~Dave