It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How to remove smells?
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:25 pm 

Sorry about this icky subject.
Had a renter leave with 7 years of cat urine smells on hardwood floors. We were planning to re-do the floors, but will this get rid of the horrible smell? It's "eye-burning" awful. :(

Patty

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:30 pm 

You cannot get the smell out of the wood. The floor, subfloor and maybe even the joists must be replaced. If not,, the next occupant will be smelling something and there will be trouble. We were witness to a similar situation years ago in AZ. It is not a pretty picture!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree that wood absorbs odors, but you may want to give these guys a call - they are odor experts:

XO Corporation
(800) 442-9696 USA

http://www.xocorp.com/index.asp

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:27 am 

[XO Corporation
(800) 442-9696 USA

http://www.xocorp.com/index.asp

"Safely used on any water tolerant hard or soft surface" is from XO website.
Real hardwood floor is not water tolerant. Perhaps joists that will be covered with subfloor and hardwood can be treated with the XO product.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:39 pm 

You really should replace wood floors or try a small amount of viniger!
XO works but breaks down in a week we use it for dead RODENT smells never works. I've found vinger works to take bad smells away.
Mixing baking soda and vinger and a towel and mop floors completly it works.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:01 pm 

Thanks all.
We are having the floors re-finished. They 'think' w/sanding down then stain & 3 coats varnish that should do it. It's a very old house w/no subflooring.
Plus a friend said to use "Zisson B-I-N" on all the walls b/4 we paint since the urine could have been 'sprayed'. :(
I'll report back tho I will hope no one else ever needs the advice.

Patty
PS-we did use a comercial cleaner- SCOE 10X which seemed to help.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:25 pm 

Hi there...we actually had a mouse die inside our walls...we tore the drywall out and replaced it but the odor stayed in the framework....so again tore the walls out and cleaned it with vinegar. Within a few days, the odor was back. So this time, we tried a biodegradable product called What Odor?. Its a spray with over 40 essential oils...sprayed the framework and the concrete and waited a few days...nothing. Just before replacing the walls, we sprayed it again just in case...its been 6 months and we are passed our rainy season, still no smell.

Here's where I found the product:

http://what-products.com

Hope this helps...it worked for us!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:21 pm 

X2 on the WhatOdor product. I'm a car dealer and have bought my fair share of mildew filled cars, rolling ashtrays, and mobile farms/kennels...even a few that I really don't want to know what happened in or to.

I have an old "living air classic" ozone machine that I have used with some success... A home brew of lemon oil/simple green/white vinegar that does pretty good on the nicotine...and a nifty chlorine impregnated sponge that will remove most odors...and your ability to smell or blink your eyes for a good half hour. Great product, but nothing I would feel comfortable recommending.

I watched the WhatOdor ad and decided to give it a try.

Excellent product. Works as well as anything else I have used of not better, and is non-toxic. No gloves or hazmat suit required. I have used it in the squirt bottle and it worked good, sprayed it through an air driven paint gun to really atomize it and it worked better, then really got medieval and used a (new) $60 Black Flag brand thermal mosquito fogger and turned the liquid into a smoky fog. That REALLY got it in the fabrics and carpet and allowed the enzyme to break down the bacteria that was causing the odor.

I regularly "fog" used cars now...although I have upgraded to an automotive specific thermal fogger... And my detail guys always have WhatOdor on their cleaning cart.

Well worth the price, and highly recommended.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:48 pm 

Nature's Miracle makes several lines of enzyme products that are excellent for what they do. Pet odor (from urine), skunk odor remover, etc. See if they have something that will work for you. They also have cat litter that is made from ground corn husks (not the grain, the husks) and has some of their products in there so it not only clumps for scooping, it doesn't smell.