It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:08 pm 

Hello,
I bought 3 7-gallon Leyland Cypress just last Saturday and planted them same day. I live in a clay soil area in S. Carolina and was told to mix "Natures Helper" with the clay in a 50/50 mix. I planted last Saturday evening and I noticed this evening that it seems like one of the trees just isn't doing as good as the others. It appears as if it is yellowing. Could this be due to too much water with them being so young? I watered them last Saturday after planting and then Wednesday of this week we received a soaking rain all day long. Could it be that that tree just got over watered? I planted them with about 1 inch of the top of the root system above the ground surface and then placed some of that Natures' Helper around the base to cover up the root system. The other two seem to be doing fine and are deep green but this one seems to be struggling. I have two other Leyland Cypress in the yard that are 25 feet tall with about a 10 foot width and are in great health. Any Ideas? (I can post links to pics tomorrow when it is light outside).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:14 pm 

How did you plant them? Did you soak the roots first in something like compost tea ("Garrett Juice") for a while then separate them and unwind them? I'm assuming these were in pots, not rootballs?

You had the right idea, planting them a bit high rather than too deep in the ground. Often trees that were grown in pots have had dirt dropped into the pot to make them look better at the nursery, and if they're in the pot long, adventitious roots grow into that dirt above the natural root line. Those can be removed, above the root flare.

If it has only been a week and one tree is turning yellow it could be a bit shocked, but if it doesn't improve, hopefully you bought them from someplace that has a return policy over a period of a few months (some nurseries will let you return plants within a year. Keep the pot and the receipt).

I'm sure someone who has a more detailed answer will come along and add to this. It sounds like you were doing it right, and sometimes these nursery plants just don't make it if they've been in the pot for a very long time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:55 am 

northwesterner wrote:
How did you plant them? Did you soak the roots first in something like compost tea ("Garrett Juice") for a while then separate them and unwind them? I'm assuming these were in pots, not rootballs?

You had the right idea, planting them a bit high rather than too deep in the ground. Often trees that were grown in pots have had dirt dropped into the pot to make them look better at the nursery, and if they're in the pot long, adventitious roots grow into that dirt above the natural root line. Those can be removed, above the root flare.

If it has only been a week and one tree is turning yellow it could be a bit shocked, but if it doesn't improve, hopefully you bought them from someplace that has a return policy over a period of a few months (some nurseries will let you return plants within a year. Keep the pot and the receipt).

I'm sure someone who has a more detailed answer will come along and add to this. It sounds like you were doing it right, and sometimes these nursery plants just don't make it if they've been in the pot for a very long time.

Hello,
Unfortunately I did not soak the roots in anything before planting; you are correct they were potted plants. I wasn't told about doing this at Home Depot when I bought the "Natures Helper" mix. I probably should have been notified about it because I would've done so if it was mentioned. I did my best to separate the roots but they were so small I was somewhat afraid I was going to break them. I bought the trees from Costco and I have already inquired about the return policy. They stated that I could get a replacement tree if I still had a receipt for up to a year after the purchase date and that I didn't even have to bring the tree back in. I asked my aunt who studied horticulture and she did say that the tree could be shocked and/or it could have been overwatered. With the soil concentration here being primarily clay, she told me to lay off the water for a while and see if it improved. I've attached two pics of the 'yellowing' tree below and two pics of the other two healthy trees.

Yellowing tree:

Green Trees:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:19 am 

They have only been in the ground for a week. I would suggest finding a source of Garrett Juice and replant all of them. I don't know where you are in SC, I did a search on Columbia and find an organic business called "Freds" and several other businesses on the list. It commingles all cities of that name so you'll want to scroll through and find those for your state. Here is the link for finding organic businesses: http://www.dirtdoctor.com/organic/garden/advance_business_listings/

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Tree-Planting-Detail-Newsletter_vq1941.htm Watch the videos for specific information. Be sure you plant them high enough that the Root flare information