It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:10 am 

I live in a very small town in So. Oklahoma and have tried in vain for over a month now to get the city to stop using Malathion for mosquitoe control here. I have been on the local news, published letters to the editor in the local paper, been on the agenda at city counsel meetings, contacted state representatives, EPA, DEQ, OK Dept of Agriculture and every environmental agency I could find. I called the Mayor personally (he does the actual spraying) and stated my concerns. He told me he did not have to answer my questions and hung up on me. (nice) He has sprayed near the ball field during Little League games.
I feel I am the only one in this town that is aware and concerned about the poisoning of people, pets, kids and gardens. I live in a closed minded town with a madman at the helm. I am also on the forum at the organic gardening website where there are other people in other states that have the same dilema.
Our local paper stated last week that the spraying will continue every week. I requested to the City that it not be done around my house. (I doubt THAT did any good)
I would very much appreciate any suggestions and input that might help me in my efforts to stop this madness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:46 pm 

I have no advise but I applaud your determination!
I am new to all this organic information. And I am taking for granted all the other like minded individuals here in the Fort Worth metroplex.
But even here I am sure it started with one person making a stink about the ills of toxic pesticides. Keep strong! :D

Cheers. And Good Luck!
- Emily in Fort Worth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:39 pm 

Thank You danger for your reply.
An inspector from the Dept of Ag is in town right now looking into this situation. The madman sprayed Malathion last night and is suppose to do my part of town tonight. Hopefully he and his antique leaky equiptment will be stopped before they get anywhere near my house. I requested he not spray near my home. For his sake, I hope he abides by this. I will be quite upset if this diesel based poison saturates onto my tomamtoes that are so beatifully producing right now. And I sure hate to bring ALL my critters in the house to keep from being poisoned......but I will.