It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:15 pm 

SQUASH BUGS HAVE KILLED ALMOST ALL OF MY SQUASH PLANTS. I'VE HIT THEM WITH EVERY KIND OF HOWARD JUICE I CAN THINK OF. NOW THEY'VE MOVED TO THE PEAS AND GREEN BEANS. CAN ANYONE HELP?? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:33 pm 

The best control is hand-picking when their numbers are still small. I have read that sabadilla dust and rotenone will kill them, but will also kill beneficials.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:01 am 

Check out http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/squashbug.html#1.
There's some useful information about using decoy plants, good advice on physical removal, etc.

I hate squash bugs. I gave up on cucurbits for the past three years because of them. I think I'll try again next year, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:41 pm 

I controlled all the squash pests in my garden with homemade garlic, onion, hot pepper, canola oil, liquid soap teas.

I finally got all the adult Japanese beetles in check on my swet corn field, by using a dilute 1-hour brew of chewing tobacco tea. It is very safe, and it should work on squash too. Just don't use tobacco teas on nightshade family crops.

NOTE: The nicotine in dilute tobacco teas is safe, not to be confused with that dangerous poison nicotine sulfate. One drop of that stuff on your skin, and you will immediately get sick. Tobacco teas are relatively safer than rotenone.

Only use any natural pesticide as a last resort. Let companion planting and cover or border cropping control most of your pets.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject: squash bugs
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:02 pm 

i lost over half my plants. to many to hand pick them off. i finally used an insect dust called viper. 24 hours later no bugs. checked again next day still no bugs. i was told the dust would last until it rains. another alternative would be to stake fly traps at the base of the plants, the kind that is on white paper strips. if bugs step on it they are stuck you can stake the strips down w/nails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:41 pm 

You're doing better than I. My garden didn't have that many individual plants to begin with (I put in yellow squash, zucchini, watermelon, canteloupe, all in the same general area of the yard). Harvested a few squash before the pests started. This year, the bugs won. I have stopped trying to salvage those tattered, twisted plants in the back garden. They don't have powdery mildew any more, but the other ailments are too profound. :(

I didn't stumble upon the Garrett information about bed preparation in time for these spring gardens. I'll be putting something in this fall and will be sure to prepare the site, but will also review all of these posts to decide ahead of time how to approach the known pests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:50 am 

There is an old wives tale that I heard from Petey Mesquity that if you pulverize the ripe fruit of a buffalo gourd and spray a diltuted mixture of this, that squash bugs will stay away. Of course, he also warms that this reaks like rotting onions. Maybe it would be worth a try! Buffalo gourd grows all over the place here in central Texas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:28 am 

Is your buffalo gourd the thing I have heard people call "coyote melon"--a vine that you see along roadsides with green gourds the size of an orange?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:59 pm 

sounds about right. I'd try it myself, but I haven't suffered the fate of those darned sqaush bugs yet. I hear they are pretty bad!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:38 pm 

CRAIG wrote:
SQUASH BUGS HAVE KILLED ALMOST ALL OF MY SQUASH PLANTS. I'VE HIT THEM WITH EVERY KIND OF HOWARD JUICE I CAN THINK OF. NOW THEY'VE MOVED TO THE PEAS AND GREEN BEANS. CAN ANYONE HELP?? :(

:idea: On Howard's radio program today, he mentioned using NEEM (neem oil ?). I have used neem products in the past and it seemed to work. Lowes and most nursery/feed stores carry the product.