It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:30 pm 

Our small town baseball field in upstate NY was renovated with new sod in the fall of 2010. We had snow over the first winter and the following spring it looked beautiful, seemed to take to the soil well. In the fall we noticed that the entire field of grass had a yellow hue. Hurricane Irene dumped a lot of water, rather quickly, in this area and we thought perhaps the sod got too much water. It looked brown over the winter and we never got any snow and now we haven't had much rain. We have been watering the field and a good tug on the grass seems to indicate that the sod is still rooted tightly to the soil. I suspect that it might have been over-fertilized in the fall...the field is completely fenced, the sod was put down right up to the fence and there is an uneven 2 to 3 feet of very green grass inside the fence line all the way around the field...as if a spreader just didn't reach the fence line. There is some green grass under the brown blades, but it looks like the dormant grass of the hot summer months rather than newly energized grass of spring. While watering the field this spring we have noticed that the water drains well, so my initial thought that it got too much water from Hurricane Irene is incorrect (I think). Nobody wants to say that they had perhaps over fertilized the sod, so I have no info in that department. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by baseballmom on Mon May 07, 2012 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:24 pm 

Please post photos! Thanks! (Use the Upload attachment panel below the "post a reply" panel).

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:12 am 

Still getting use to this site, attempted to upload pics but files too big, I'm going to upload them to our league's website. There are pics there from the sod installation as well.
http://www.eteamz.com/RedHookLL/albums/
Many thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:41 pm 

What kind of grass is it?
How high/low are you mowing?
When were the last two times you fertilize, what did you use, and how much?