It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Grass for dog run
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:53 am 

I have 2 heelers. I recently have taken on more hours at work and am not home as much as I used to be. I have fenced off a long area of my yard and keep my dogs there when I am at work because they totally destroyed my landscape and yard in a matter of 2 days. I have bermuda grass which gets traumatized if you walk on it a couple of times. Needless to say, the grass in their area has died and now they are in mostly dirt or mud pit whenever it rains even a little bit. I feel this can't be healthy.
Is their a kind of grass that can withstand their stampeding that won't look bad if it spreads to the rest of my yard? Also, should I be treating their area with anything special? I always pick up the poop, but they still urinate in there.

Post subject: Re: Grass for dog run
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:57 pm 

The simple answer is no, there is no grass that can stand up to continual pounding. I always suggest a deep mulch for a dog run. Urine is absorbed immediately and converted into harmless nothing. As for the poop I would probably try burying it in the mulch and see how that goes. I leave my dog's poop in the yard untouched and it disappears in four days.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:37 am 

Only let it sit if you can deal with the flies!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:11 pm 

This year leaving the droppings on the ground is a mistake - the flies have been dreadful. Pick them up as soon as possible and bury them in the compost.

My back yard landscaping isn't much - grass, horseherb, trees and shrubs, because I have three dogs running around back there. I hate the idea of your dogs confined to that smaller space. Perhaps, with dogs, it's better to do the fancy landscaping out front and let them play in the space in back. I have Invisible Fence installed, a wire around the outer edge of the property and the dogs wear collars. I have a fenced yard but this keeps them from approaching closer than 2 feet from the fence - you can have it set up to keep the dogs in a certain area but not have to fence it (this is within the space you've wired - they twist the wires just so and create boundaries within boundaries.)