It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Dandelion solution???
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:11 pm 

My neighbor is a person of questionable gardening knowledge. She says that if you pick ONLY the flowers and seed pods (preferably before opened) the plant will run its course and die without having to dig/pull it out. Her yard is about 25% dandelion on close inspection. But, without the tell-tale flowers and seed heads it's hard to see them.

I looked up the plant here, and it is listed as a perennial. So, that shouldn't work. I must admit, though, having to only deal with the easy part of the plant would be nice.

Any ideas on if dandelions die in one season, if denied the ability to seed?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:16 pm 

Where is "here?"

Dandelion is delicious in salads. If the yard is organic (sounds like she's not using weed killer!) I'd say pick a few of the leaves also and enjoy them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:08 pm 

You don't say where you live or what kind of grass you have. Dandelions usually go away by themselves if you raise your mower height all the way to the top. That forces the flat dandelion leaves to grow upwards and they don't get enough sunlight. Then they die out. Tall grass also keeps them from coming back.

However if you have bermuda you want that mowed as low as possible. Then you need the Weed Hound tool to pluck them out.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:21 am 

Thanks for the reply. My location is Amarillo. My neighbor's lawn is (pardon my ignorance of grasses) Bermuda, I think. Mine, however, is your typical, 60 year old lawn that has had every variety of grass seed sprinkled on it over the years--sod and turf.

Due to my location, I follow a less than perfect organic program. There isn't much interest in doing things right, up here. I use NO chemicals from the hardware stores. When I'm down in the DFW area, I hit a Robinson's before coming home. So, my organic kit is limited: soap; my own compost/tea; DE; orange oil; molasses; Thrive; and those things that can be bought from the grocery store.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:18 pm 

Here is a link to a map of feed stores in Amarillo. Call and find the best price for alfalfa pellets (rabbit chow). Apply at 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. Apply once a month or every other month or every 3rd month.

Raise your mower all the way up. Dandelions hate tall grass.

If you are watering more than once a week, stop that. Water longer and less often until you have found a balance to water once a week in the summer heat and once a month in the winter. Tall grass can stand a lot more dryness than short grass.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:09 pm 

Thanks for the tip. I've heard Howard mention horticultural corn meal as a pre-emergent. Is this a similar process? Also, if I'm thinking of the same thing, I don't know if it will pass through my drop spreader. I unintentionally raised rabbits a long time ago. We started with two females--one wasn't. :x

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Corn Gluten Meal can help with seed suppression. Horticultural corn meal is a different product.

Here's some information:
Corn Gluten Meal: http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Corn-Gluten-M ... 1_vq17.htm

Horticultural Corn Meal: http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Cornmeal-Uses ... s_vq18.htm

Liquid Corn Gluten Meal:
https://gardens.naturalorganicwarehouse ... 207&ref=ac

https://gardens.naturalorganicwarehouse ... 211&ref=ac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:09 pm 

Doug is right. There is a distinction to listen for when listening on the radio.

Ordinary whole grain corn meal = poor fertilizer (relatively) but a great tool to combat lawn disease

Horticultural grade corn meal = not the stuff you buy at the grocery store but the stuff you get at a feed store. Or in Howard's description it is probably only available at your local garden nursery. I don't know about that. I get the plain brown bag at the feed store for anywhere from $3 per bag to $15 per bag depending on the market price of corn.

Corn GLUTEN meal = excellent fertilizer and might also have some preemergent qualities. From what I read on the other lawn forums, nobody is really having success with CGM as a preemergent. I used it last year at a rate of 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet per month for 8 months in a row and never saw any decrease in weed pressure. I don't have many weeds but I have a few. I was primarily using CGM as a fertilizer to really boost my lawn. It worked!! :D :D :D