It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Garrett Juice
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:49 pm 

I have been a happy fan of homemade Garrett Juice for several years now. Each week I fill a large muck bucket with water, composted soil and then various different ingredients each week: dry molasses, composted chicken manure, worm castings, cornmeal. I have an aquarium pump which I insert and then let the tea steep for two days. Then I strain the tea and add fish emulsion, liquid molasses, liquid seaweed, and apple cider vinegar. This goes into a hose end sprayer and I apply it to lawn, shrubs, trees, and flower beds. My soil has tons of worms and the Texas clay soil is responding nicely!
We had a dreadful hot and dry summer last year and I think that my landscape really benefited from Garrett Juice application every week throughout the fall and winter.
All this having been said, I want to make sure that it's ok to spray this much. I have always operated under the premise, "The beauty of organics is that it's ok if your measuring isn't perfect....it's all good!" Just need confirmation! :)
Karen

Post subject: Re: Garrett Juice
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:27 pm 

Your recipe is so much different from Howard's formula that I would rename it Travis Juice. You may use your formula or Howard's in place of water if you have that much.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:48 pm 

I take the reply as a very nice compliment! Do you think it is acceptable to apply the "Travis Juice" year round?
Right now, I am noticing that my grass is very healthy with an amazingly thick turf, no weeds. We are on twice a week water rationing; other lawns are looking stressed and mine looks pretty great. I also do not scalp my St. Augustine, but cut it on the long side. After the brutal hail storm a couple of weeks ago, I am hoping that the winter application of the juice is going to pay off. I have three large red oaks and two large pecans. They lost at least 50% of their leaves. I feel at least vindicated for dedicated spraying during last winter.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:20 pm 

I see no reason why you could not use that year round. Are you fertilizing in addition or just using that? I would add a real, protein based, fertilizer on a routine basis. In 2011 I used corn gluten meal at a rate of 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet once a month. I believe there would be no problem using it once a week if I wanted to.

And by the way, I saw no reduction in weed pressure while using CGM every month. CGM seems to have no preemergent effect on weeds in my corner of the world.