It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Great story!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:49 pm 

If I could suggest lots of compost, cornmeal and molasses I think you would find your soil much looser and plants able to grow more easily. You can rough up the top inch of the soil and spread cornmeal by hand, then water it in with liquid compost and molasses (easy to find at Lowe's). The fact that your soil is still compacted indicates that you need to loosen the soil more and this method will work well (and take lots less elbow grease) from my experience! Plant some more carrots and you'll get a fall crop too. I have done it the last 2 years! Happy gardening!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:35 pm 

kchervey
Great story. When does it go to press? Possibly a best seller?
Good to hear your carrots made it in black clay. I have never had luck in anything but sandy soil. Maybe in 2 - 3 years, when my black clay becomes good fertile soil, with much compost tilled in, I will try carrotts again. Let us know when the next chapter, in your story, comes out. We will be waiting.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:39 am 

Glad you felt my suggestions helped. I meant to include that you might want to back off on the coffee grounds. They are pretty acidic and you might be throwing the pH off in your soil if you add too much, even though the soil is naturally alkaline. Like everything else, a little goes a long way. Just put the extra grounds in your compost pile instead. The worms really seem to like them. And I know adding the compost will really help. Stimulating and adding more microbes helps to naturally aerate the soil and could correct your separation problem over time. The molasses is great for that but you might just need more beneficial microbes. Both are inexpensive and work well. Lots of people add sand to their soil here, with the same effect you got, but compost is much better. Sulfur is good for the roly-polys (sp?) but it's too hot to use that right now. Add some in the fall when the temps are below 90 in the daytime. You can use a granular or liquid fertilizer like Bioform that has it already in there. The sulfur will help with iron uptake too for greener plants with more chlorophyll. Or you could use the liquid Bioganic insecticide. It's really safe but it will take out some beneficials too. I'd stick to the sulfur option, myself. It's so great sharing info with other gardeners! I'm looking forward to the second chapter too! :D

Post subject: Sulfur Info
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:42 am 

I realized that I didn't explain why using the Bioform right now was okay, whereas plain sulfur isn't. Sulfur melts at a low temp and would burn your plants. Bioform has ingredients that buffer the sulfur and won't burn. Thought I ought to clarify that!

Post subject: You're Welcome!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:24 pm 

Kent,
You can get the Bioform, liquid compost and molasses at your local Lowe's pretty inexpensively. They have it at the one in Garland and the one in Rockwall. If memory serves, those three products all total will run you about $30. Not too shabby, huh? And the cornmeal can be any old cheapo cornmeal. They don't carry that at Lowe's but literally the cheapest bag at the store will do. Happy gardening and let me know how it all works out, will you? I love great stories!
Kathe