It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: dandelion invasion
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:52 am 

I moved into my new house three years ago. The last two years I have spent hours and over $150.00 on vinegar trying to contain my dandelion population. It's not working. I even dug a hole around the dandelion and poured the vinegar. 3 months later my dandelions were bigger and stronger and spreading all over my property. We mow our native grass when it is high. Last year I started fertilizing our yard with molasses to try to have the grass take over the dandelion population. Doesn't seem to be helping. I have hundreds of dandelions in my yard and as I said before they are now going everywhere around the property because there are so many seeds being dispersed. I don't want to use chemicals but I feel that if I don't do something that my property is going to be one big dandelion. And I have seen properties like that. Rose jumper

Post subject: Re: dandelion invasion
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:53 pm 

Have you tried corn gluten meal? It will fertilize plants already growing, but it inhibits seeds sprouting. You may need to adopt a regular routine of putting out the cornmeal because they bloom over several months. I heard Howard answered a question about that on the radio last week, but I don't remember which hour - the podcasts are available online:

Hour 1: http://dirtdoctor.podomatic.com/entry/2013-01-28T09_59_24-08_00

Hour 2: http://dirtdoctor.podomatic.com/entry/2013-01-28T09_51_11-08_00

Hour 3: http://dirtdoctor.podomatic.com/entry/2013-01-28T09_47_33-08_00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:57 pm 

Thanx for the reply. No I haven't used corn gluten. I was told about cg last year. Maybe that will be my next step and continue to make my lawn healthier. I have heard that cg will not allow seeds to germinate and help fertilize; but that will still leave my hundreds of dandelion and if just one is able to go seed, they will keep spreading. As my mom said, "make dandelion wine" It's so scarey when you read on Scotts website when someone asks if their products are safe and they reply "yes" but don't let children and dogs around it, and don't put it near water (lakes etc.) and people think, ok it's safe. Very scary rose jumper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:00 pm 

Dandelion is delicious in salad, and if your yard is organic, you're looking at a nice revenue stream!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:03 pm 

Like my mother said, "dandelion wine is supposedly great". I think you use the flowers for it. Thanx again

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:44 pm 

Is this a lawn you're having the trouble in? If so,
  1. Where do you live?
  2. What kind of grass do you have?
  3. How often do you water and for how long?
  4. When were the last two times you applied fertilizer and what did you use?
  5. How high/low do you mow?
You should not have dandelion issues if you are caring for the lawn properly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:37 am 

I live in Flagstaff AZ. I don't know what kind of grass it is. It is a native grass and has septic below it; which keeps it green and healthy (the septic doesn't reach all of the grass area though) I don't like using a lot of water so I know I don't water it well. I put humate 2 to 3 times on it last year. We don't mow it till it is tall. I am not going to use bad chemicals on the dandelion's so I'm trying to just except them and when I get my veg. garden done I'm just going to have to go around the yard and dig some of them up by the root. There are just to many in the grass area to try to dig them out. The problem is they just keep spreading and my neighbors yard has dandelions too and they just let them go. I think I need to completely change my attitude and just look at them as beautiful, dig up the ones I can and find a good recipe for dandelion wine. If you have and ideas let me know. rj

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:44 pm 

If you are going with native grasses, you might look into varieties of wheatgrass that will thrive in your area. Also consider blue grama and some varieties of buffalo grass that will become dense. One I know of it called Tech Turf from the Turffalo company outside of Lubbock, TX. In full sun their grass becomes very dense. As soon as there is any shade, it thins to nothing. People like it because of the density and the fact that the seeds and flower heads grow at the same rate as the blades. Most buffalo varieties send up the seeds and flowers fast above the rest of the plant making it look shaggy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:32 pm 

Thank you for your time. I will look into adding some kind of native grass seeds to add bulk to the grass. I tried to take some of our grass to a native plant store and they told me there are so many kinds of grass I would have to show it to an expert. I think this is a interesting area to start thinking more. Will grass grow over dandelions? rj

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:43 pm 

The better grasses will grow with enough height and density that the dandelions do not get enough sunlight to survive. With prairie grasses, if the density is not enough to keep the weeds out, then you need more seed the following fall.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:35 pm 

Thanx again for your time. You mentioned the Fall, can't I put grass seeds out right before the monsoons? rj.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:22 am 

When is monsoon season? If it is in the summer, then no. The problem with summer seeding is the new seedlings cannot handle the summer heat and dry cycling.