It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Rainy Day Birding
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:53 am 

When the weather is bad it is sometimes fun to go birding on the web. One of my regular stops is the web site of Canadian photographer Glenn Bartley. Glenn is always taking his camera to far-away places.

One of his recent trips was to Ecuador, famous for both its birds and its orchids.

Visit his web site for a photographic tour of the country. I think you will be blown away by his work.

http://www.glennbartley.com/naturephotography/ecuadorgallery.htm

Post subject: Re: Rainy Day Birding
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:05 am 

Beautiful, thanks!

I haven't had the bird feeders up as much this year, with the weather the way it was it seemed like there was a lot of food in the area. And I made a foray into a new brand/type of seed, inadvertently clobbering the house with an attack of weevils that came from the package. I'm sure the birds didn't care about worms or moths, but I'm not happy, and am working my way through the house trying to clear out this unwelcome population. :|

Word to the wise - freeze the bird seed for a while if you're going to keep it in the house! I do that with all of my flour and other grains, but it didn't occur to me to do it with these hulled seeds.

This leads me to wonder about the big box store seed - it was in the house also, in a tub, and it didn't generate any weevils. I suspect they must treat it with something, and it seems to me I've read about that being harmful for birds. Do you know anything about that?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:26 am 

I do not normally have problems with insects in my black oil sunflower, which I purchase at a seed and feed store. I have not heard of anyone recently adding pesticides to bird seed. Scotts added a pesticide for the purpose you mentioned between 2005 and 2008, which was illegal. They paid a big fine last year so I doubt anyone else will be doing it any time soon.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:07 pm 

This was one of those "patio mix" bags of seed from one of the Bird Seed stores (this is/was on Hulen in Fort Worth, someone told me they closed recently). It was hulled seed, meant to not leave the litter on the ground, which may have made it easy and irresistible to whatever bugs were in the store and I brought them home.