It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:10 am 

Hello.....

I'm new to this forum, so I searched and couldn't find a reference to this issue, thus the posting.

In December we moved into a newly built home in Collin County and the builder's special were two live oak trees in the front yard. If I had to guess, the trees are about 3 years old.

That being said, here is what I need help with.

One of the live oak trees budded and has the tyical green leaves. The other tree, planted about 30 feet apart, budded and produced all red leaves, about the color of a Japanese Maple. Yes, I'm positive it's an Oak tree.

I can't find a reference as to why the tree has red leaves.

Does anyone have input as to why this is and if it's a problem? The color is pretty, but it looks out of place in the Spring. Could it be wilt?

Oh...and while I was taking a pic of the tree just now, I noticed there was at least one catepillar in the tree. I'm assuming that's not a good thing.
thanks in advance for your replies.

Attachments:
oak v2.JPG
oak v2.JPG [ 34.86 KiB | Viewed 23598 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:41 am 

Are the leaves red, or are they really just in the beginning process of being wilted?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:02 pm 

That's what I don't really know. These are the new leaves for this spring and they're red. I spoke with someone at a nursery today in Frisco and they thought it may be normal. It just doesn't look normal to me.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:55 am 

We bought a new build 3 years ago down in Houston. The front yard came with a "live oak" according to the home builders. Every fall, the leaves turn bright red. It looses it's leaves during the winter and then sprout bright green leaves in the spring. I understand young live oaks will often loose it's leaves in the winter until they mature, but ours feature bright red leaves. I've taken the leaves to nurseries and they confirm it's a live oak, although I still have doubts. I am planning on taking the leaves to the county's conservation headquarters to double check. Will check back when I acquire info. Hope this input helps until then.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:52 pm 

thanks for the feedback. Ours lost a lot of leaves during the Winter and then the new leaves came in bright red as well as green. I'm begging to wonder if it's not oak wilt.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:33 pm 

Is anyone else still monitoring this thread? I see it's a couple of years old, but I found it while doing a google search for information, and it was the only thing I found that mentioned my issue of red leaves on my live oak.

I bought and planted a small, young Escarpment Live Oak last year from a local nursery, or maybe it was two years ago. Anyway, right now I am concerned. I have another live oak in the back yard. Not sure if it's the same species or not, though the leaves look the same. This other one has little catkins on it, and healthy looking new green leaves.

However, the Escarpment Live Oak, while it has definite new growth, has a lot of leaves that have turned red, and the new leaves are also red. Some of the leaves are also more of a brownish, red on the end of the leaves, gradually turning brown toward the stem. However, they are glossy and pliable, not dull or dry. They look alive, just red. Also, all the new leaves on the ends of the branches are coming in red.

The red/brown ones do not look like the pictures I've seen of oak wilt. Nothing along the veins. There are a handful of yellow leaves mixed in that just look like normal leaves that die and fall off. Oh - I'm in the southeast Austin area, out near the airport.

What is this? Did anyone figure out whether it's normal or a problem? I am no gardener, just a suburban homeowner who wants a few trees. Please help, anybody?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:05 pm 

"Live" in Live Oak means it has leaves all year round, but it still drops and replaces leaves just like any other deciduous trees. Much of it happens right now and they can look a bit ratty while it happens in the spring. Keep an eye on it, and check to see how deep in the ground it is buried (if it buried too deep it could be in stress - the root flare should be exposed, not buried).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:27 pm 

Hi northwesterner, Thanks so much for the reply. I feel a little encouraged that perhaps it may still be ok. I don't see the root flare. If it is too deep, what should I do? Scrape away soil from around it until I can see the root flare? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:05 am 

Here is the basic tree planting guide.

Here is the Root Flare Management newsletter.

Here is the link to the A-Z index for the "library" of organic advice. There are several more links under "Root Flare."

WRONG:

RIGHT:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:28 am 

Oh thank you so much! Of course, my little sapling's trunk is barely an inch in diameter, but I take the point and will apply this info as best I can. Hopefully my little tree will make it. I really appreciate the help and advice!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:44 pm 

Your tree will grow a lot faster if the flare is exposed.

Last edited by northwesterner on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:00 pm 

Good to know, and good incentive to do it. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:37 am 

Just thought I'd post an update. I did expose the root flare on the tree as advised. I don't know if that made a difference or not, but now almost all the leaves on the tree are green. The ones farther down the tree that were previously red have turned green, and the entire tree looks lush and healthy. At the very top, where there is new growth coming in, the new leaves are red. So I'm thinking that this particular species, the Escarpment Live Oak, just has its new growth come in red in the spring and it's nothing to worry about.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:13 am 

Thanks for letting us know!