It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:34 am 

I recently learned that nearly all domestically grown raw almonds are either steam treated (pasteurized) or treated with a toxic gas to kill pathogens. I want to use truly raw almonds in my almond milk, but wonder whether the pasteurization treatment is any worse than the normal blanching treatment recommended to remove the skins from almonds. And what nutritional harm is done by the pasteurization and the blanching process? The problem here is complicated by the vagueness of the description of the steam process by proponents, and the frequent hysteria shown by opponents of the rules.

I just want to eat nutritionally complete almonds. If blanching and pasteurization truly don't degrade the nuts, then I don't care, but . . .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:40 am 

Have you found an answer to your question? Have you searched on almond growers and sent them questions about their almonds? I hope you'll share what you learned here. Since no one responded, this is one of those situations where "you are in charge of that research." Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:23 am 

This is an old thread but I'm new and just finding my way around.
From what I understand about almonds, blanching and steaming is a lot better than conventional pasteurization which uses PPO, a known carcinogen that has banned in lots of countries, including the whole of Europe. Most organic almonds over here are imported from Europe.