It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: storing the harvest
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:36 am 

howard has mentioned using peat moss to preserve fruits and veggies. I got about 70lbs of potatoes this year and beside eating I want to ave some for seed this fall to try for seed potatoes for next spring, also have a bunch of garlic but don't anticipate much problem saving some for next fall sept
not far off. anyway if I layer the potatoes in a storage tub w/ peat moss would/could I leave it out in the shop or need to bring in house. shop not A/C'd thanks

Post subject: Re: storing the harvest
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:35 pm 

Here's what I found: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/store-pota ... 59124.html

They need to be kept fairly cool after they cure, so they don't sprout too quickly.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:52 pm 

My red lasota potatoes stored well in a bin of peat moss; some of the white potatoes varieties didn't store so well, so this year I planted only the red potatoes.

It is difficult to find a cool place in the house, but dark and cool and dry for your potato bin will keep them for a while. Don't put them in a refrigerator. Here in Texas a room at 55 isn't practical (think of all of the potatoes you could buy for the price of that electric bill!) but they will keep if you start eating them as soon as you have them in storage and don't expect that whole batch to last until next winter.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:20 pm 

how small can the seed potatoes be to use for planting next season? have a bunch of little ones that are either going into beans or etc or I will try saving them for next fall for s** & giggles to see. tried cpl of yrs ago using whole ones but only got 2 per plant, this year I cut into pieces and got 3-6 plus little one per plant so I will go w/ cut pieces next spring regardless. the easter freeze I feel cut back on production some cie la vie out here in the west tho

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:45 pm 

I don't bother. I didn't have any luck with my own potatoes starting plants. The potatoes at the feed store are in good shape for planting and haven't been subjected to any treatment that might affect their sprouting. And most importantly, they aren't very expensive.