It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:35 pm 

I planted two year old peach trees this spring and got a few blossoms, no peaches. And now there are little red spots all over the leaves. Am I not watering enough? Too much? Is this a disease? How can I save my eight peach trees?

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:20 am 

Make sure they are not planted too deep. How often do you water?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:24 am 

Thanks for responding, Sandi - I don't think they are planted too deep. We are well read on that, thanks to Howard. I water about once a week depending on rainfall. I also sprayed with Garrett Juice on the leaves. No other bugs or bores present. Trunks look okay. What do you think it is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:30 pm 

Is there a way you can post an image od the leaf spots? There's certain signs of fungal diseases that are easy to ID by the way the look on the leaves. Does the spot grow until it covered the entire leaf? Has a neighbor recently sprayed something that could have drifted over?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:32 pm 

I would also make sure that you feel down in the soil several inches before you water again. Make sure it's pretty dry before you water. Don't assume that it needs it just because it's been a week since the last watering.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:38 am 

Hi Sandi,

I have a similar issue

) I planted 2 peach trees in Feb. One of them is having red spots and leaves are curling and the second one right next to it is fine. These trees are in my back yead surrounded by Grass and ofcourse grass we have company doing fertilize/weed control on yard. I water these regularly, every other day. The tree with red spots stopped growing and I dont see any new leaves popping...This is my very first experience with trees...It hurts when I see the trees dying... please help

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:03 pm 

I posted this reply about planting too deep on your other thread - you only need to post a question once.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/newforum/root/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22121&p=58612#p58612

You need to ask your yard service what they're using (weed and feed kills trees and shrubs). And who planted the trees? Did you see how they were planted and did you direct the planting party to soak the roots, untangle them from the pot and spread them in the shallow hole? And not to pile dirt too deep around the roots (you shouldn't have dirt over the root flare or the tree graft.)

Switching to an organic program, detoxing the yard, replanting the tree if necessary, and not over watering are probably the things that will help. If needed, the sick tree treatment can revive an injured or ailing tree.

Last edited by northwesterner on Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:46 am 

Watering every other day is too much. Water deeply, once a week. You need to find out exactly what the service is spraying because it sounds like the drift from the spray may be the problem.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan